Tags:

No tags yet.

1. Ignacio

Any comments wellcome :)

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  2. irishman

GREAT JOB friend!!!
    i think you could sell it as shareware at least....(if copyright was yours,of course...)
    an excellent job,really the map is the same of the old game...
    i was playing the old one on a zx spectrum emulator,n looking for some material about alien 8 i found this site,n ur job...
    i let old alien 8 rest a little,n started to play your new one massively...

just one suggestion...
    in the old game if u walked to doors,even if alien8 wasn't right in front of the door,a "force" drove the bot to the gate...
    this was very useful cause you had not to "aim" the gate,n it saved bot life a lot of time...
    do u think to add this feature in a future patch?
    the difficulty of your version is heavily increased....old alien8 was a lot easier...
    (the 3rd game i played some days ago,after yrs i didn't used this game, i activated 18 cryo chambers....after a lot of games n hours on ur new version,my best was 12) i find very hard to avoid trackers attacks (the planet saturn look-like robot...) too faster then its old "granny"..... :)
    do u think to adjust difficulty level?or to create different diff. levels?
    last,but not least,i found a little less accurate the alien8 jumping control in ur new version...
    in the old i was always sure about the jump of bot n where it d be landed...
    in ur version i find more difficulties to make alien 8 jump accurately...
    am i not good as i was many years ago?or someone else found some difficulties with jumping?
    anyway,tx a lot again for ur wonderful job....
    graphic superb n the same of original one...
    music very immersive...

the last question...i saw a new door which didn't exist in the old game...a red one with the bio-hazard symbol on it......what damn is that???
    tx again ignacio....u re GREAT!!!!

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  3. Software Junkie

Thanks for all your efforts to bring this game back from the mists of time. A fantastic job! I look forward to Night Lore....can't wait for that.

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  4. BloodBaz

Been playing your remake of Alien8 LOADS!!!!
    Irishman says it is harder but actually, some parts are harder and some parts are easlier making overall difficulty the same but at the same less frushtraing.

One obvious advantage of the remake is that time doesn't slow on busy screens. The game is faster in the remake but better graphics and shadow casting makes careful positioning easier.

I've seen the "potential exit screen" whcih does not appear in the original Speccy version. Just need to get past "10 chambers complete" to do it. I found Knight Lore quite completable on the spectrum. I am hoping to complete Alien 8 remake and if I can do that, go back to the spectrum one and complete it for the first time.

Cheers for a great remake.

Chris.

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  5. Ignacio

Hi there, and excuse me if I don't come too often arround :)

First of all, let me say a big thanks for your comments :)

Well, about the doors, the jambs push you to the opening when you walk on them. You just need to be close enough to it.

About the difficulty, I agree with BloodBaz. There are some subtle changes on the game; some of them make it more difficult, and some of them make it easier. The overall is pretty even, imho...

The jump is one of the things that make it a bit harder. The game is faster than the original, what's a must imho, but it gives you less time to release the key and perform a short jump.

And the closed door... Well, it's just a red herring :) We had the sprite, and not using it was a shame and a waste. And I somehow wanted some doors with the doorframe out of the wall ;)

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  6. peterhull90

Hi ignacio - I've compiled a mac version - took 30 minutes! Nice one.

Do you want it?

Pete

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  7. irishman

tx ignacio for the answer...(was too curious about the misterious door,even if ending the game i understood it was a graphical object only...)

did u see the highscore table?
    that guy,Wolfy,ended the game exploring all 128 rooms,using only 1750 LYrs...is this possible?
    or did he cheat?
    running crazy i ended the game using 3400 LYrs...n i didn't explore 6 rooms...
    can't believe he did it so fast n perfect....

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  8. Ignacio

Wolfy's scores are real, I know 'cos my own best time is pretty close to that :)

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  9. irishman

really???
    wow...he's a GREAT player then...thought was no possible such a good time...
    congratulations to him....(n u too...)

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  10. Peter Hanratty
    Administrator

Thankyou :)

I'm Wolfy btw ;)

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  11. Never heard of you, I'm going to delete your score from the table ;)

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  12. Peter Hanratty
    Administrator

Arrrgh - I've been beaten by a woman!

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  13. guss mcguss

Hello

Well this game brings back memories of my childhood. This remake is absolutely fantastic. Like atic atac I really enjoyed playing these types of games again and full credit to the programmers involved.

The only thing I could recommend is a save game option. Playing a serious game of this can take a good hour or so. How does Wolfy do it so quick?

Again an excellent job well done and thanks

ps there is one screen that i cannot do. It involves a robot on a pile of blocks and he drops
    into an area where a cryogenic plug is surrounded by pyramid blocks. Luckly there are more plugs than chambers to solve so I leave this room well alone. I just wonder if it is possible to do or whether its a death trap. I hope you know the room I am talking about.

thanks

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  14. Gnoop

Guss, it is possible to do it, although the method I use feels a bit like cheating. You don't need to go into the area the plug is in to collect it. Stand as close as possible to it at the other side of the blocks so that you're touching it diagonally, or near enough. You can collect it from here! This works for a few rooms with similar problems. If I remember correctly, this is a 'feature' of the original game too. But I suspect there probably is a 'proper' way to collect it too.

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  15. a Zebra called Spot

Hi Guys,

I was recommended this game, having had such a good time reliving (and finally finishing) Head Over Heels.

OK now I'm hooked on this one.

Questions: is there any way to make my robot do a short jump? I know he jumps further if moving, but even from a standstill he's Olympic class.

I'm stuck on a room (any way to make a room reference visible??) where I need to jump up one step, and I just can't do it. It's a room with a Valve on top of a big pile of blocks, immediately adjacent to the "grey blocks" start point. I can't make my robot jump, then land and immediately turn and jump. He seems to need to jump once on the spot before he'll turn, and as the block is a disappearing one.... death! death!

Also, is there a cheat for infinite lives? That would really help...

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Zebra Girl

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  16. Gnoop

Although it's possible to do this room by doing a short jump (a short tap on the jump button does this, although it's tricky to get right), a better way is to position yourself so that when you land on the first block, only your right foot lands on it, then a big jump gets you part of the way round the first corner, but you're on a higher level so you've got time to do that turn before you fall to your death.

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  17. a Zebra called Spot

Hi Gnoop,

Thanks for your comment: I'll go now and practise the short jump (knowing that it's possible might make all the difference...) and I'll try your tactic next time I get to the Grey Blocks start point.

My map is coming along nicely (and yes, I have found several completed maps on line, thanks, but I actually enjoy making my own) and a couple of times I have actually managed to plug in a valve or two. So I'm making progress.

Love the look of this game!

Zebra Girl

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  18. a Zebra called Spot

Well, it took me 46 mins but I have finally achieved that room, thank you Gnoop! I have learnt the "short tap" for short jump, very useful.

Now more questions: how do you avoid the what I call "Magnetic Monster" (as opposed to RM Random Monster) which looks like a Humpty with rings (Kemlo fans will recognise it) which rushes towards you as soon as you appear? The Mouseleks are bad enough, but this sticky monster is unpassable so far. Grrr.

Zebra Girl

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  19. Gnoop

The magnetic monster - Walk into room. Turn right. Walk to wall. Wait a fraction of a second until the monster gets a little closer. Turn 180 degrees. Leg it to the opposite wall. Turn right. Run/jump and you can outrun it. Basically, you need to lure it to one side of the room to make space at the other side, so that you've got time to squeeze past. It takes practice, but it can be done. I think it's actually trickier coming from the far away side of the room, because it seems to start a little closer to you, but again, it is possible using the same technique.

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.