Search:  

Retrospec Forum » Feedback on Retrospec Games

[closed]

Head Over Heels

(173 posts)
  • Started 14 years ago by retrospec
  • Latest reply from The Letter M
  1. Anonymous

Having problems with the doughnuts. What monster thingies do the stop? I shoot at every kind and one 1 stops.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  2. Anonymous

I am stuck in Blacktooth. I am in 1 of the last rooms and have to shoot the monkey monster but it wont die. I can't build a ladder without him killing me first. PLease help, I am so close!
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  3. Anonymous

Yes, that room is REALLY hard - the monkey cannot be shot (changed from the original) so you will have to be carefull. It is doable, but quite hard. The Phillip Kendall's walkthrough will tell you how to do it (one of the ways)... :)
    Tomaz
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  4. Anonymous

About the problem in Egyptus - there is an answer in this forum a few messages back... you need to jump and WHILE the block is dissapearing you must walk in the other way and then jump... you fall down when the block is totally disintegrated, you can still walk on it while it is disintegrating !

Tomaz
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  5. Anonymous

Superb game and Superb remake. Only two things to say:

I don't like the doors to stick out. It makes me change the way I used to play in the original game. For example in the room where Head gets his first doughnuts you jump from the corner of the room to the door and you crash into the lintel of the door, so you fall and die... This didn't happen in the original game where the doors were 2D.

I've also got a problem with the room 2 rooms before the one where Hells crosses the tunnel. There're two killers, a bunny and an elevator. The elevator takes you to the upper room and if you fall from there, you always get killed, because the killer is always where you fall, so you keep loosing all your (and Head's) lives until gameover.

The second thing is a request.
    Pleeease, make a room editor !!!! This will help the game keeping alive !!!

Thanks, and I hope you'll understand my awful English
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  6. Anonymous

This is a superb remake of the greatest game to emerge from the 80's and quite possibly one of the best games of all time! Why this has never been remade or revamped until now is a complete mystery...

I've been into gaming for some 20 years now, have owned over 15 different systems and played several thousand games and this is the one game I keep coming back the most, time after time!

I’ve completed the game numerous times on various formats included emulators and the original systems it first came out on - I would like to offer some constructive and hopefully helpful criticism / suggestions which I believe would significantly enhance the overall experience of the game:-

1. When you press escape, it would useful if you could go back into the options menu to tweak configuration settings etc like most modern games today.

2. It would be really cool if the following information was displayed on screen:-

a). Overall percentage of game complete / planets liberated so far / time played (in dd:hh:mm:ss)
    b). Current location (eg Egyptus, Book World etc).
    c). Perhaps a map in 3D maybe? (showing rooms you've been in and rooms you haven't, position of pick-ups, teleporters etc).

3. Maintain the original games rating system (eg dummy, novice, master spy etc).

4. Have the option to toggle the graphics from full colour to monochrome.

5. Have the option to play the game using the original music and SFX. The original music is a Peter Clarke masterpiece and I really miss the old sound effects - the new SFX, especially when Head or Heals is moving (eg walking or jumping) should be much clearer and louder.

6. Also in the original, upon entering a room, depending on the planet you were on, a quick jingle was played which added deeper atmosphere to the game and helped remind you of what planet you were on.

A great game none the less - roll on remakes of Paradroid, Uridium, Wizball, Impossible Mission....

With ultimate respect,
    Liam
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  7. Anonymous

I've just started HOH not long ago. And with Head I'm stuck in 22-18 and with Heels in 13-12. I couldn't seem to move the thing to the door with Head. And I can't seem to get pass the robot that follows Heels around. Please help!
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  8. Anonymous

I don't know the rooms by the numbers, but with those robots that follow you around, if you let them get very close to you and then run of at a 90 degree angle, they'll turn in to follow you. Then you can wait until then get close to you and do the same again to get past them

I hope that makes sense

Dan
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  9. Anonymous

Unfortunetly I dont have the game here to try those rooms, but generally you can find hints on what to do in what room in Phil Kendalls walkthrough (search on Google for it ;-) ... About the questions :

1. The sequel will have better in-game Options menu... promise ;-)

2. Again - in the sequel (when/if we do it) all that info (probably even the 3d map) will be displayed.

3. I wanted to maintain the original scoring system, but somehow in the end I forgot to investigate and just left it as it is now - sorry.

4. Why ? :)

5. The Music/SFX was totally remade and no plans were made for using original sfx/music - one reason was because it was different on different platforms

6. I didnt like the jingles playing upon entering EVERY room - it kinda got on my nerves, thats why this wasn't included :) Maybe in the sequel as an option....

Best regards,
    Tomaz
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  10. Anonymous

About doors sticking out - some people like them, some don't. I tought I would do just this one design change - because it would make only square rooms look more dynamic. I think it looks better this way, but it does change the way you play through some rooms. Sorry for that.

About HOH Editor - I might be tempted to put out an editor for it in the future. There is a complete editor available for private use and it does let you do everything in the game, but it is so complete that it might be too much ;-) We will see...

Also we are still considering doing the sequel and if we do that then the editor will not be released before that.

Best regards,
    Tomaz
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  11. Anonymous

Hello.

Sorry, but I get an error message (alleg40.dll) if I play the game in full window.

I've the latest directX 9

Anybody can help me?

Thanks

PD
    Sorry for my poor english.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  12. Anonymous

Hello,
    This is a runtime file for the library that the game uses. This file should be in the same directory. If not, get it from:

http://www.allegro.cc/files/4.0.3/allegro-...4.0.3-win32.exe

Neil.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  13. Anonymous

I remember the game from the amstrad.
    It was great and the conversion is equally great. You really did a fantastic job.

PS:
    Bursh de bursh de burshh. Shlrubaduradaush- be dursh da Chicken!!!

f.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  14. Anonymous

Hi,

First of all a HUGE thankyou to everyone who
    was involed in re-writing HOH. I had this game
    in the late 80's on my Amstrad PCW and was thrilled to see it in color. The graphics are
    excellent.

Could someone please give me help, how do I get
    heels out of room 05-24. I didn't have any
    problem doing it on the old game (Amstrad PCW) but
    in this version when he has to jump on the last
    block on the right (above the spikes) and do a
    quick direction change to jump up and to the left
    it just doesn't work. I've been trying for ages
    and I just can't get it.

Also, if there's a cheat for PC I'd love to know
    it (I tried 'C H E A T' at the start menu but
    that didn't work).

Thanks

trevorrg22
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  15. Anonymous

If you're in the room I think you're in, you need bear in mind that you can run on the block for a step or two while it is disintegrating so you need to not jump immediatiely - if that makes sense

Dan
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  16. Anonymous

Thanks for your help, I shall bear that in mind
    and try some more.

trevorrg22
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  17. Anonymous

Well, I've tried running and jumping off the block
    as it disolves but it made no difference.
    If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.
    Thanks

trevorrg22
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  18. Anonymous

Sorry, I realised another reply to an earlier
    question was about the same room. I found that
    I have to take my finger off the jump button
    so that I can run on the disolving block and then
    jump. Managed to solve it now.

trevorrg22
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  19. Anonymous

A stunning remake - thanks a million. I've finally finished it. Considering I started playing it on the Spectrum in 1987 (?), that means it took me 17 years !!
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  20. Anonymous

Hi, great game and graphics but I seem to be stuck and need someone to give me info to allow me to carry on. I'm and unable to get past 23/14, I can get heels to the fish and then the meter starts but unsure how to finish that screen. Does it have something to do with type of rabbit as still learning what is what, the has to be a way out but do you think I can find it. Louise
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  21. Anonymous

For many years I've wished I could play Head over Heels again. I played it to death many years ago on my Spectrum and it is one of the best games ever. I just found your awesome remake and wanted to thank you for it. I can't believe such a high quality product is free.

This is unbelievably accurate. Clearly a labour of love. It is quite amazing and I look forward to many hours playing it. The graphics are fantastic.

Many Thanks
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  22. Anonymous

Oh what bliss Head over Heels in the eighties was a crash smash. now if they was to review it they would have to call this version a DOUBLE WHAMMY. Excellent graphics nice clean scrolling and youve kept that all important part of the game which is THE ATMOSPHERE truly brilliant. I never finished this game in the eighties as my brother sold me speccy (CRIES) But now i have a chance to conquere what i set off to do and complete the game. THANK YOU RETRO..
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  23. Anonymous

I've read that HOH has got a wall ladder that Head must learn to climb... how? I have located at least one bunny bonus that has been barred inside a fence, that Head cannot jump, so (s?)he should perhaps climb it... but how?
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  24. coral

Hi,

I'm also having problems with saving in mac. I saw your note to write to a.mottola@libero.it but I tried to send an email and my computer says this is an invalid address. Is this the correct address because I can't seem to use it, I tried the 'send anyway' function when an email address is read as invalid, but it wouldn't send. Do you have another address? or any other mac users have advice on problems saving. I just crash to desktop when I run out of lives and when I re-open the game my saves aren't there. While I love the game and appreciate your efforts, I must've played this game from the beginning about 20 times now! I can only use saves if I have lives left and that's not the way you use saves.

Coral
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  25. coral

QUOTE(coral @ Oct 21 2004, 10:10 AM)
    Hi,
    I'm also having problems with saving in mac. I saw your note to write to a.mottola@libero.it but I tried to send an email and my computer says this is an invalid address. Is this the correct address because I can't seem to use it, I tried the 'send anyway' function when an email address is read as invalid, but it wouldn't send. Do you have another address? or any other mac users have advice on problems saving. I just crash to desktop when I run out of lives and when I re-open the game my saves aren't there.  While I love the game and appreciate your efforts, I must've played this game from the beginning about 20 times now! I can only use saves if I have lives left and that's not the way you use saves.
    Coral
    [right][snapback]310[/snapback][/right]

Well it's been nine days since I posted the above and I've had no reply. I managed to get an email to a.mottola about a week ago and I've had no reply to that either. I think the game is unplayable for mac users in its current form, and you should make that clear. I feel like I've wasted a lot of time on a game in which you can't use saves. sad.gif
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  26. Anonymous

hello,
    as you can see we've been a bit busy with the new forum and setting up stuff. I'm sure tomaz will get round to replying smile.gif
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  27. Anonymous

Hi!

Unfortunetly I cannot help with the problems with the MAC OSX version. On the windows version this never happens and we didn't have any other users reporting this bug before. Unfortunetly I cannot reach A.Mottola either to ask him for help on the issue. When I can get hold of him I will pass on the message.

One question though - are the file permissions in the folder where HOH is installed set properly so the files can be saved there ?

Unfortunetly I dont have a Mac and cant test it out sad.gif

Best regards,
    Tomaz

QUOTE(neil @ Oct 30 2004, 11:49 AM)
    hello,
    as you can see we've been a bit busy with the new forum and setting up stuff. I'm sure tomaz will get round to replying smile.gif
    [right][snapback]847[/snapback][/right]
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  28. coral

QUOTE(Tom-Cat @ Oct 30 2004, 11:11 PM)
    Hi!

Unfortunetly I cannot help with the problems with the MAC OSX version. On the windows version this never happens and we didn't have any other users reporting this bug before. Unfortunetly I cannot reach A.Mottola either to ask him for help on the issue. When I can get hold of him I will pass on the message.

One question though - are the file permissions in the folder where HOH is installed set properly so the files can be saved there ?

Unfortunetly I dont have a Mac and cant test it out sad.gif

Best regards,
      Tomaz
    [right][snapback]850[/snapback][/right]

When the game is unstuffed you get a folder with 3 things in it: the game icon, a 'read me' text and a 'documents' folder. The documents folder contains the following files. I don't know which if any are 'file permissions' or how they should be 'set' properly.

HoH.css
    File_id.diz
    GFX
    Manual.txt
    HoH.nfo
    Manual.html
    Manual.pdf

Coral
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  29. Anonymous

Nono, I meant file permissions of the folder where HOH is installed - it is a system setting. Since it does look like it cannot save the save files to the install folder. Unfortunetly I have no clue on how to check/set this on Mac. Maybe someone else here can help ?

QUOTE(coral @ Oct 31 2004, 07:14 AM)
    When the game is unstuffed you get a folder with 3 things in it: the game icon, a 'read me' text and a 'documents' folder. The documents folder contains the following files. I don't know which if any are 'file permissions' or how they should be 'set' properly.
    HoH.css
    File_id.diz
    GFX
    Manual.txt
    HoH.nfo
    Manual.html
    Manual.pdf
    Coral
    [right][snapback]854[/snapback][/right]
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  30. Indra

Hello !

I can not run Head over Heels anymore !
    I suspect SP2.
    Is someone experiencing the same trouble ?
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.