Search:  

Retrospec Forum » Feedback on Retrospec Games

[closed]

Head Over Heels

(173 posts)
  • Started 14 years ago by retrospec
  • Latest reply from The Letter M
  1. a Zebra called Spot

Well hello Tomaz, and thank you so much for your personal response to my e-mail thanking you guys for re-making this fantastic game.

Like everyone else, I played it as a teenager on my Speccy, I later bought it again on Amstrad - the discs were a step up from the cassettes - but despite Ocean Software kindly sending me a full map, I STILL couldn't finish it!

Many years of despondency later, I came across this site while looking for something quite different, and ho boy! how pleased am I? (ans: "very")

All I need now is for my USB joystick to arrive (can't bear to thump my keyboard) as thanks to this forum, and also to the reply from the lovely Tomaz, I now have the CHEAT for infinite lives, and I am certain that this is all I will need to get through it.

Ok, ok, so I have also read every forum post for tips....

Earlier on, someone mentioned Batman, and I would add my pleas to theirs: guys, if you get time, please please DO re-make it: if you do the same fantastic job that you did on HOH then we will all be very happy. After all, they are very similar games in many ways (written by the same designer, I think?) and speaking as a girly, they are both just soooo much better than war-based shoot 'em ups. I'm sure that everyone on this forum that is enjoying HOH will also enjoy Batman.

There, that's my two-pennorth, Thank you again for a fantastic game, and I can't comprehend how you can manage to do such an accurate, detailed, colourful, stylish, modern, clean-looking game - for free! You are all marvellous.

Very best regards,

Zebra Girl biggrin.gif
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  2. a Zebra called Spot

OK, I couldn't wait for my joystick to arrive and have been "wandering around" just to remind myself of what to do.

Certain room are so dark.... is this intentional?

I've just wandered back to 18-17 and I can't even see myself, let alone the floor (which I know to be electrified) and the blocks (some of which I seem to remember probably disappear.

I know I don't need to solve this room, I'm just wandering around, but is there any way to make the pictures lighter? Or does this fabulous new version have a hidden light switch that I haven't spotted yet?

I read back through the forum and no-one else has mentioned this. (ooer, is it just me?)

Please advise!

Zebra Girl biggrin.gif
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  3. Anonymous

QUOTE(Indra @ Nov 10 2004, 08:04 PM)
    Hello !

I can not run Head over Heels anymore !
    I suspect SP2.
    Is someone experiencing the same trouble ?
    [right][snapback]892[/snapback][/right]

notworking.gif

I can assure you it's not an SP2 problem. I've just done a fresh install of XP SP2 and Head Over Heels would run, sadly now I've installed other programs, updated drivers, and Windows Updates, it no longer runs.

Actually, it does run, just without a displa; it appears in Task Manager. This isn't the only program that does this, Maniac Mansion Deluxe from Lucasfan Games (a remake of Maniac Mansion) also does exactly the same thing. Maybe there's something in common between these two remakes that would give a clue as to what's causing the problem?

notworking.gif
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  4. a Zebra called Spot

biggrin.gif Sorry everyone, me again:

As mentioned earlier in the forum, in the old version you could join the guys up without bothering with the market place by repeatedly tapping the swap key while jumping, while they were facing each other over the wall (screen 39-00).

I'm still waiting for my joystick, so I'm playing it on the keyboard (well, trying to) and I just can't get Head to make that extra effort.

Help! (please??!)

Zebra Girl unsure.gif
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  5. Anonymous

OK, to the questions :

- Some rooms are dark yes - it might be that you have your monitor turned down too much. Had no complaits on that so far smile.gif Its just for lighting to work the rooms must be a bit dark

- The joystick waggling trick in the first room with Heels doesn't work in the remake - you cannot join them there. That was a bug in the original game.

- I am running the game under SP2 here without any problems, so I cannot reproduce the said problem sad.gif It might be the display drivers clash with some allegro functions. Unfortunetly not much can be done there. If it starts acting like that on one of my machines then I will try and solve it.

- About Bat-Man - if I get a good artist to do graphics in the similar quality that HOH has them then I will do it. But for now I don't have time for it. I am sure in a few months/years this will be done though ! I love Bat-Man, it was my favorite isometric game (until I saw HOH ;-) ) so I will probably remake it in the same manner that HOH is done - but the doors will mostly be inside walls this time ;-)

Best regards,
    Tomaz
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  6. Indra

I can assure you it's not an SP2 problem

You are right Monkey it is not a SP problem.
    Maybe it is a video card drivers problem.
    Because i have updated it recently and now I can not run Watman !
    Anyway I was wondering if someone knows the game Super Hero (Amstrad and Spectrum).
    The gfx were made by Bernie Drummond smile.gif .

A remake of SH would be a nice idea,what do you think ?
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  7. jamyskis

First of all, I'd like to say thanks to the guys that wrote this remake - remakes in general are cool, but when they are updated this well and still manage to keep the true spirit of the original, well *hail the holy HoH remakers*

I got the game on the front of a German PC gaming magazine (Bravo Screenfun) so I decided to look at the website and discovered to my joy that there was a Linux version available! So I downloaded it, installed it and found that fullscreen wouldn't work - at all. I did have the colour swap problem which I fixed by adding -bgr as an argument but I cannot get the fullscreen version to work - it comes up with "Segmentation fault" when I try to change to fullscreen in the game itself, and when I add -r1 to attempt to force the game to start in fullscreen, it comes up with "Cannot set graphics mode". I'm using SuSE 9.1 and have just about every resolution possible set up in SaX2. I have the nVidia drivers installed and 3D acceleration turned on. I've set my desktop resolution to everything possible, 16 and 24 bit, every resolution from 640 x 480 upwards, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. I have been playing the Windows version in the meantime, but I do tend to try and avoid using Windoze when possible blush.gif
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  8. Anonymous

Thanx for the good comments !

Unfortunetly I don't have Linux here to try it - you could try contacting J.P.Morris (jpm@it-he.org) - he ported the game to Linux and I know he had some problems with graphics modes that he overcome in the end. I hope he can help you.

Best regards,
    Tomaz

QUOTE(jamyskis @ Dec 7 2004, 09:58 AM)
    First of all, I'd like to say thanks to the guys that wrote this remake - remakes in general are cool, but when they are updated this well and still manage to keep the true spirit of the original, well *hail the holy HoH remakers*

I got the game on the front of a German PC gaming magazine (Bravo Screenfun) so I decided to look at the website and discovered to my joy that there was a Linux version available!  So I downloaded it, installed it and found that fullscreen wouldn't work - at all.  I did have the colour swap problem which I fixed by adding -bgr as an argument but I cannot get the fullscreen version to work - it comes up with "Segmentation fault" when I try to change to fullscreen in the game itself, and when I add -r1 to attempt to force the game to start in fullscreen, it comes up with "Cannot set graphics mode".  I'm using SuSE 9.1 and have just about every resolution possible set up in SaX2.  I have the nVidia drivers installed and 3D acceleration turned on. I've set my desktop resolution to everything possible, 16 and 24 bit, every resolution from 640 x 480 upwards, but nothing seems to work.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. I have been playing the Windows version in the meantime, but I do tend to try and avoid using Windoze when possible  blush.gif
    [right][snapback]973[/snapback][/right]
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  9. jamyskis

QUOTE(Tom-Cat @ Dec 7 2004, 11:54 AM)
    Thanx for the good comments !

Unfortunetly I don't have Linux here to try it - you could try contacting J.P.Morris (jpm@it-he.org) - he ported the game to Linux and I know he had some problems with graphics modes that he overcome in the end. I hope he can help you.

Best regards,
      Tomaz
    [right][snapback]974[/snapback][/right]

Hi Tomaz,

Thanks for the help. Murphy's Law would dictate though that I managed to solve the problem more or less straight after I posted that, but so that this wasn't a completely futile exercise, I'll impart my newly-obtained knowledge.

Run your X graphics configuration. It's usually part of xf86config, but many distros feature a X-based config tool in KDE or Gnome, like SaX2 under SuSE 9.1. Make sure that for every colour depth, as many resolutions are configured as possible. I added 640 x 480, 640 x 400, 320 x 240 and 320 x 200 to all of the depth settings. First of all, -bgr still wouldn't work, but I quickly realised that this was because I hadn't added all of the resolutions to all of the colour depth categories. I can now run the game as such by typing hoh -bgr

All the best
    J
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  10. Anonymous

Glad you solved it smile.gif And I am glad I did include the -bgr parameter. On Windows platforms it is only needed for the GDI windowed mode (and even then it is needed only on some gfx cards).

Best regards,
    Tomaz

QUOTE(jamyskis @ Dec 7 2004, 11:17 PM)
    Hi Tomaz,

Thanks for the help.  Murphy's Law would dictate though that I managed to solve the problem more or less straight after I posted that, but so that this wasn't a completely futile exercise, I'll impart my newly-obtained knowledge.

Run your X graphics configuration.  It's usually part of xf86config, but many distros feature a X-based config tool in KDE or Gnome, like SaX2 under SuSE 9.1.  Make sure that for every colour depth, as many resolutions are configured as possible.  I added 640 x 480, 640 x 400, 320 x 240 and 320 x 200 to all of the depth settings.  First of all, -bgr still wouldn't work, but I quickly realised that this was because I hadn't added all of the resolutions to all of the colour depth categories.  I can now run the game as such by typing hoh -bgr

All the best
    J
    [right][snapback]975[/snapback][/right]
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  11. a Zebra called Spot

Hi everyone, Happy New Year and many joyous hours playing Hoh!

Well, I got a lovely Logitech joystick for Christmas, but it won't work the game: I have installed drivers from their website, and my computer now says that it is installed correctly and is operative.... but it isn't.

Although it said "plug and play", I have reconfigured the joystick's individual controls to correspond to keystrokes (learning all the time...) and although the game responds to the "fire" or "jump" key to short-cut the first opening screens, it fails to respond once you get to the menu options.

Grrrr!

Any suggestions, anyone?

In the meantime, I've been walking around again - and yes, Tomaz was right, I adjusted my monitor's brightness and now I can see in the gloomy rooms. Without a joystick I really can't control the characters quickly enough - always going the wrong way in moments of crisis - but I have observed the following:

1) Bug about falling from above onto moving monsters, ie 18-13 falling to 17-12. It is most annoying! (with infinite lives, had to ESC the game or I would have been there forever)

2) 3D doorframes - sorry Tomaz, I agree that they look stylish, but are a nuisance when characters keep bumping into them. Wouldn't be so bad if you had the "auto shuffle" on them, the one that helps the sprites get through doorways if they are not quite lined up properly. As it is, those extra few seconds of confusion can mean the loss of another life.

And finally another compliment - I have only just noticed that in the menu screens, the names of your team appear as ripples in the water - captivating! Such a labour of love for you to put this game together, and I do hope that you are able to do Batman, one day.

And for the guy doing the essay on computer gaming etc, don't forget to put in a word for games like this one, that appeal to both sexes: I'm not the only girl on this forum, and that's quite a rarity.

Very best wishes to everyone,

Zebra Girl.
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  12. Anonymous

Hi Spot (and others) !

Thanx for the good comments - the "ripples" in the water took some time to do, but I am glad someone noticed. Unfortunenetly I can't help you much with the Joystick problems - I have two gamepads and they worked as soon as I plugged them into the USB ports, no installs necessary - so I don't have any experience with this sad.gif

About the 2 bugs - well, for the second one it is all my fault ;-) Some people like them and some don't. Your suggestion is good though - maybe in the next version. Btw. Bat-Man will NOT have doors outside walls in the rooms where it matters ;-) Only where it is irrelevant and would look better ;-)
    The first bug is ofcourse a relict from the past - it was in the original and we left it as it was. Would change the game too much if it was different. But after the game was released we did tought of some ways to go around it... maybe in some future version ;-)

Again, thanx for the comments everyone !

Best regards,
    Tomaz

QUOTE(a Zebra called Spot @ Jan 5 2005, 01:35 PM)
    Hi everyone, Happy New Year and many joyous hours playing Hoh!

Well, I got a lovely Logitech joystick for Christmas, but it won't work the game: I have installed drivers from their website, and my computer now says that it is installed correctly and is operative.... but it isn't.

Although it said "plug and play",  I have reconfigured the joystick's individual controls to correspond to keystrokes (learning all the time...) and although the game responds to the "fire" or "jump" key to short-cut the first opening screens, it fails to respond once you get to the menu options.

Grrrr!

Any suggestions, anyone?

In the meantime, I've been walking around again - and yes, Tomaz was right, I adjusted my monitor's brightness and now I can see in the gloomy rooms. Without a joystick I really can't control the characters quickly enough - always going the wrong way in moments of crisis - but I have observed the following:

1) Bug about falling from above onto moving monsters, ie 18-13 falling to 17-12. It is most annoying! (with infinite lives, had to ESC the game or I would have been there forever)

2) 3D doorframes - sorry Tomaz, I agree that they look stylish, but are a nuisance when characters keep bumping into them. Wouldn't be so bad if you had the "auto shuffle" on them, the one that helps the sprites get through doorways if they are not quite lined up properly. As it is, those extra few seconds of confusion can mean the loss of another life.

And finally another compliment - I have only just noticed that in the menu screens, the names of your team appear as ripples in the water - captivating! Such a labour of love for you to put this game together,  and I do hope that you are able to do Batman, one day.

And for the guy doing the essay on computer gaming etc, don't forget to put in a word for games like this one, that appeal to both sexes: I'm not the only girl on this forum, and that's quite a rarity.

Very best wishes to everyone,

Zebra Girl.
    [right][snapback]1038[/snapback][/right]
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  13. Anonymous

Hey Tom-Cat, isn't that a picture of Captain Dynamo? I used to love that game.

I was wondering, why is everyone requesting for a Batman remake, hasn't Watman already been made? (Pardon my ignorance, I have never played the game myself).
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  14. Anonymous

Hi !

Hehe, yeah its Dynamo smile.gif I just went around the Amiga games and tought this would make a nice avatar... and it kinda does smile.gif He is a character... and a lovely game.

Watman was a remake, but it is DOS (and GBA) only (there is a private Windows build which still had bugs, don't think Kak will ever release it though) and it was low-res only with still some sorting bugs in certain rooms sad.gif

So another remake of BatMan would be nice... might even do it myself if I find someone who could do graphics on par with Grahams ;-)

Best regards,
    Tomaz

QUOTE(Imtiaz Ahsan @ Jan 19 2005, 01:47 PM)
    Hey Tom-Cat, isn't that a picture of Captain Dynamo? I used to love that game.

I was wondering, why is everyone requesting for a Batman remake, hasn't Watman already been made? (Pardon my ignorance, I have never played the game myself).
    [right][snapback]1070[/snapback][/right]
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  15. Anonymous

Love the look of the remake, remeber this game from my speccy days.

Now I know everyones going to fall about laughing but I can't reach Heel's bag. It's driving me nuts, I must have tried to make the jump over a hundred times and I can't reach the rollers to the bag.

Am I missing something????

sad.gif
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  16. Anonymous

QUOTE(neodov @ Feb 15 2005, 12:44 AM)
    Love the look of the remake, remeber this game from my speccy days.
    Now I know everyones going to fall about laughing but I can't reach Heel's bag.  It's driving me nuts, I must have tried to make the jump over a hundred times and I can't reach the rollers to the bag.

Am I missing something????  
    sad.gif
    [right][snapback]1097[/snapback][/right]

You certainly are! You need to manipulate the remote control joystick (by pushing on different sides of it) to make the robot form a platform halfway between the rollers and yourself. There may be another platform you have to push into place as well, I can't recall.
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  17. Anonymous

Indeed tongue.gif

QUOTE(GrahamGoring @ Feb 18 2005, 10:46 AM)
    You certainly are! You need to manipulate the remote control joystick (by pushing on different sides of it) to make the robot form a platform halfway between the rollers and yourself. There may be another platform you have to push into place as well, I can't recall.
    [right][snapback]1100[/snapback][/right]
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  18. robert@fm
    Administrator

IIRC the solution to the bag problem (at least on the 8-bit versions, hence presumably on the remake) is to use the remote control, first to use the Charlek (for want of a better name) to push the platform into place, then back the Charlek off a bit and jump first to the platform, from there onto the Charlek, and from there onto the rollers. smile.gif
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  19. Anonymous

Can someone help me for room 09-24 the egyption room, I can't get heels up the blocks without getting killed by the toasters. I tried using the pink bunny, but by the time I get to the room, the shield gets used up
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  20. Anonymous

You need to turn and jump before the blocks dissapear. With a bit of practice you will sauss it smile.gif It takes some time for a block to dissapear completely so you have time to turn around and jump...

TC

QUOTE(asianangel28 @ Feb 25 2005, 06:30 PM)
    Can someone help me for room 09-24 the egyption room, I can't get heels up the blocks without getting killed by the toasters. I tried using the pink bunny, but by the time I get to the room, the shield gets used up
    [right][snapback]1109[/snapback][/right]
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  21. ikklepiranha

I've signed up to the forum just so i can say a BIG thank you!!!
    I had HOH on my Amiga yonks ago, it was one of the last games we got before i became girly and the amiga got set aside (also thanks to the PC).
    But, shortly after i got the game, the was a disc error and it stopped working sad.gif
    I'd had a taster, LOVED it and couldn't get back to it!
    I've spent the past however many years (10, 12?!) trying to make it work (i have on occasions set up the old A500 and tried, but to no avail) and trying to understand emulators (errr - no!).
    And looking today, and finding the site and downloading the game (which i've only been playing for a short period of time!) i am SO happy!
    I love it!
    Damn hard (i'd forgotten - i had it for such a small amount of time 1st time around i never got to join H&H, so this time i hope!) still, again, i have the same issues with the doors, but i'm young and can change my ways! And the saving thing, for me, would be fab. But we shall see.

THANK YOU!

And congrats on an excellent job!
    Now, i'm off to play........x

Also - i didn't know the original company sent out maps!! Wowser!
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  22. robert@fm
    Administrator

QUOTE(ikklepiranha @ Mar 19 2005, 07:47 PM)
    I had HOH on my Amiga yonks ago, it was one of the last games we got before i became girly

You had a sex-change op?!?! rolleyes.gif Sorry, just teasing... biggrin.gif

Welcome to Retrospec, and maybe you should have used this emoticon on your post:  girlpower.gif . Come to think of it, maybe I should have used this one for my reply:  misogynist.gif

biggrin.gif
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  23. Anonymous

Hi
    I wonder if anybody can give me advise how to pass room no.34-06(safari). I tried jumping over the mouse and mines and tried throwing at least 4 dounats at the mouse, still the mouse didn't stop. Why my dounats do not work? Any specyfic tips?
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  24. Anonymous

QUOTE(juni80 @ May 15 2005, 03:01 PM)
    Hi
    I wonder if anybody can give me advise how to pass room no.34-06(safari). I tried jumping over the mouse and mines and tried throwing at least 4 dounats at the mouse, still the mouse didn't stop. Why my dounats do not work? Any specyfic tips?
    [right][snapback]1185[/snapback][/right]

:-) You need to "hide" behind the volcanos and loure the robot into going behind them (on the side where you start)- when he is just about to get to you you must jump over the volcanos and he will be trapped behind - so you can pass normally through the room smile.gif

Tomaz
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  25. RoePipi

Hi!
    What's with the editor? I wanna see many-many new weird shaped planets!
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  26. Anonymous

It's funny that this game frustrates the hell out of me with its antiquated design (pixel-perfect jumping, limited saves and other hair-ripping gameplay mechanics), yet I keep coming back for more simply because the remake just oozes class.

Looking forward to playing your next project.
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  27. a Zebra called Spot

Sob! Wail!

I've finished the game!!!

So why am I wailing? Well, obviously, it's done now, and Batman isn't (yet - kiss kiss to Tomaz) so I don't have a game to play......

But I have to say, it was such a thrill to finally make it to the end, I was jumping for joy and can't say "thank you" enough to everyone who made it possible. That includes the guys who make the walk-throughs available as well, as without that I would still be struggling.

So what do I do now?

Zebra Girl
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  28. Zinya

Firstly i'd like to congratulate you, Tomaz, and your friends on making an absolutley wonderful remake of a game I unfortunatly missed out on when I was younger (only ever had an Acorn Electron and then ages later a mega drive).

but i'm wondering about the room west of 29,37 (bookworld). It's too high for heads to reach. I'm feeling that this is not the way to get to it, and would have to go about it from a different route.... but it taunts me, and i want to see it!!! wacko.gif

If anyone can help i'd be very happy.
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  29. Anonymous

QUOTE(Zinya @ Oct 3 2005, 05:51 PM)
    Firstly i'd like to congratulate you, Tomaz, and your friends on making an absolutley wonderful remake of a game I unfortunatly missed out on when I was younger (only ever had an Acorn Electron and then ages later a mega drive).

but i'm wondering about the room west of 29,37 (bookworld). It's too high for heads to reach. I'm feeling that this is not the way to get to it, and would have to go about it from a different route.... but it taunts me, and i want to see it!!! wacko.gif

If anyone can help i'd be very happy.
    [right][snapback]1284[/snapback][/right]

hello everybody!

just finished the game, passed 275 rooms, 5 crowns... but why the percentage is still 99% ??? you guys did it deliberatly or what?

but I must say: GREAT, GREAT, GREAT game... one of the best I ever played...

and reply to Zinya: how do you know number of the room (29,37)???
    but I think I know for what room you were asking because I was curious also so what I did was:
    when I first time joined Head and Heels in BookWorld I took the fish which is couple of rooms further to west, if I remember right, then I returned Heels to his first "crossroads" (room where one book is laying on the floor) then I go to the SOUTH, and eventualy come to that door that is so high...
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  30. Anonymous

HI!

The high door in (29,37) is not reachable within the room, however you can get to that door from the other side ;-) Just go "down-right" in the first Bookworld room.

99% - hehe smile.gif yeah. deliberatley...

Rade: you can display the room number if you press CTRL-F in the game (it will also show FPS).

Oh and on the editor front - how many would really like to see the editor released and would actually do something with it ?

Best regards,
    Tomaz

QUOTE(RadeCroatia @ Oct 7 2005, 03:40 AM)
    hello everybody!

just finished the game, passed 275 rooms, 5 crowns... but why the percentage is still 99% ??? you guys did it deliberatly or what?

but I must say: GREAT, GREAT, GREAT game... one of the best I ever played...

and reply to Zinya: how do you know number of the room (29,37)???
    but I think I know for what room you were asking because I was curious also so what I did was:
    when I first time joined Head and Heels in BookWorld I took the fish which is couple of rooms further to west, if I remember right, then I returned Heels to his first "crossroads" (room where one book is laying on the floor) then I go to the SOUTH, and eventualy come to that door that is so high...

[right][snapback]1286[/snapback][/right]
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.