Retrospec Forum » Feedback on Retrospec Games

[closed]

Head Over Heels

(173 posts)
  • Started 14 years ago by retrospec
  • Latest reply from The Letter M
  1. Anonymous

Hi,

Just a little post to say that this retro of HOH is fantastic ! Yeah, great graphics redrawn, nice music added and, more important, gameplay preserved ! excited.gif

Many Thanks Retrospec for preventing great 8-bit games from disappearing and to make them avaliable to their fans !

MistWiz
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  2. Tara_1984uk

excl.gif Someone should really make a new walkthrough for this game seriously:excl: ...with screenshots and stuff, the Philip Kendall one is the only one i can find and its really poo.
    Im gettin frustrated cos i get so stuck all the time
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  3. Anonymous

QUOTE(Tara_1984uk @ Nov 8 2006, 12:11 AM)
    excl.gif Someone should really make a new walkthrough for this game seriously:excl: ...with screenshots and stuff, the Philip Kendall one is the only one i can find and its really poo.
    Im gettin frustrated cos i get so stuck all the time
    [right][snapback]1960[/snapback][/right]

Tomaz! Get on it! Chop-chop!

Ain't there a walkthrough in Your Sinclair or summat? The main problem is that a few of the rooms were merged so that'll throw you off occasionally.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  4. Tara_1984uk

room(05-11)

Look im near the end of the game and im in a room with a moving monkey that wont freeze when i shoot him.
    Theres a stack of blocks with a moveable brick at the top and i have one brick from the corner, there is no way to get to the top so i can leave the room from high up an its really annoyin, i tried jumin but head cant get to it.

Ive tried the crappy walkthrough an it just says stack blocks on head but i cant get the block off the top so how can i do that.

can anyone help?
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  5. Anonymous

QUOTE(Tara_1984uk @ Nov 13 2006, 10:37 PM)
    room(05-11)

Look im near the end of the game and im in a room with a moving monkey that wont freeze when i shoot him.
    Theres a stack of blocks with a moveable brick at the top and i have one brick from the corner, there is no way to get to the top so i can leave the room from high up an its really annoyin, i tried jumin but head cant get to it.

Ive tried the crappy walkthrough an it just says stack blocks on head but i cant get the block off the top so how can  i do that.

can anyone help?
    [right][snapback]1993[/snapback][/right]

One of the blocks that make up the central column is cylinder-shaped and a bit smaller than the others; put the block on top of Head and try to get it stuck on the column, at the side of the cylinder, so you can jump on top of it.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  6. Anonymous

QUOTE(Tom-Cat @ Jan 10 2005, 11:08 AM)
    About the 2 bugs - well, for the second one it is all my fault ;-) Some people like them and some don't. Your suggestion is good though - maybe in the next version. Btw. Bat-Man will NOT have doors outside walls in the rooms where it matters ;-) Only where it is irrelevant and would look better ;-)
    The first bug is ofcourse a relict from the past - it was in the original and we left it as it was.

Hmmm... are you sure about that first bug? I don't know about the spectrum version, but in the c64 version, on that screen, the robot with the jet-pack thingy doesn't start homing in on you until you actually hit the floor. In your otherwise sterling remake, he starts zeroing in on your position the moment you enter the screen.

(For those who are wondering what this is in reference to, there's a section with Heels where if you miss a jump you fall into a screen below, where there are two robots waiting. One doesn't matter. He moves about randomly, so if you land on him you can just chalk it up to bad luck. The other homes in on you, so that by the time you've fallen all the way to the floor he's already sitting there waiting for you and you die... after which the game drops you into the screen again, so you die over and over again.) ohmy.gif
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  7. robert@fm
    Administrator

In the manual, there's a malapropism in the "History of the Blacktooth Empire" section; "symbolic" should read "symbiotic". <!--emo&:)-->/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' /><!--endemo-->For those with shiny new widescreen monitors (e.g. me) I've done 1280x800 versions of the HoH desktop wallpapers.  (I cropped the 1280x1024 versions, and then added back the RetroSpec logo.)[attachmentid=35][attachmentid=36][attachmentid=32][attachmentid=33]

<b>(edit, 2008-03-24:  To download the ZIPfile containing your desired wallpaper, click on the link above the relevant image.  There is no point in clicking on the image itself, as it's just a thumbnail and hence a small, low-resolution, poor-quality version [c=mdash][/c] besides, the "click to enlarge" feature is borked. <!--emo&:bugalert:-->/bugalert.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='bugalert.gif' /><!--endemo--> I mention this because evidently a few people <i>have</i> been trying to download the thumbnails. <!--emo&:hth:-->/hth.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='hth.gif' /><!--endemo-->)</b>

<b>(Edit, 11 April 2008:  Ignore all the above, this new board doesn't appear to support attachments. :( We'll just have to wait until the keyholder(s), or whoever, transfers the new images to the main RetroSpec filespace (and creates new decent-sized thumbnails for them).)</b>

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  8. Anonymous

I'm Stuck

Im stuck in bookworld

I have head on room 27-37 where i cannot get onto the lift surrounded by the toasters.

I have heels in room 27-32 where thers a joystick to control the robot

I dont know what to to now
    I also get an error on the RZX file for bookworld so i cant see how it has been done.

thanks for any help

great redesign of the game by the way
    Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  9. korax1214
    robert@fm's evil twin

Erm Neil (or whoever), you still haven't transferred the spiffy widescreen desktop wallpapers I* made to the HOH webpage! And how about some bigger ones, to take into account that many monitors these days are higher-res than before (one of mine is 1920x900)?

*I've logged in to my non-admin account because I'm at a cybercaff to download the ISO of Ubuntu, which would use up most of my month's bandwidth allowance if I downloaded it directly.

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  10. sorry, i tend to forget lots of things. I'll send myself an email to remember tonight :)

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  11. sureis

well this one seems to be the best remake on the site with the graphics and stuff but just as i remember a loooong time ago it is much too difficult for me x) again many thanks for this one

Posted 9 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  12. SurJector

I just wanted to be added to the list of those who find this remake fantastic !

Posted 8 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  13. Scotto1971

Hi there,
    I've only just found this site yesterday after searching for Head over Heels and am very glad I found you!

Truly a great remake of a great game, you've done an awesome job. I can confirm that this runs on Windows 7 very smoothly.

I forgot how challenging this game is! I know back in the day when I had this on my Amstrad CPC I was able to finish it after liberating all the planets but it's going to take some practice to do it again! I'm glad though as being able to go right through without any challenge wouldn't be any fun!

Thanks for doing this, prior to this I was running it on an Amstrad Emulator on my PC which was unstable. I love the full colour treatment you've given it as well. One thing I would have liked to have seen is the option to have the original soundtrack and effects. I used to love the opening theme at the screen showing the 5 worlds.

Not complaining though, I'm very thankful for this remake! Now I'm wasting far too much time on it!

Posted 8 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  14. womble

only thing i can fault is the lack of the noise it used to make on the amstrad CPC as you moved between rooms(well all the noises it made it varied from world to world). I will have to see if i can complete this before the end of the year lol

Posted 8 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  15. RedDwarf

Any plans to release the source code?
    My biggest complain is that the game insists in usings OSS instead of ALSA, so I loss software mixing. And I still don't use PulseAudio, but it will be a bigger problem to anybody that uses it.

The easiest solution would be to compile it against the system allegro so I can make it use whatever sound system I need.

To make it clear:
    My system allegro has a module to use ALSA:
    $ nm -D /usr/lib64/allegro/4.2.2/alleg-alsadigi.so | fgrep digi_
    U _unix_register_digi_driver
    0000000000205300 D digi_alsa
    U digi_driver

That the satically linked allegro from HoH lacks:
    $ nm -D HoH | fgrep -i digi_
    081342b8 D _digi_driver_list
    081337d4 D _digi_volume
    0813c194 D _unix_digi_driver_list
    080dbef0 T _unix_register_digi_driver
    080a7b40 T detect_digi_driver
    0813379c D digi_card
    081337ac D digi_driver
    081337a4 D digi_input_card
    081337b4 D digi_input_driver
    0813c4c0 D digi_oss
    081337bc D digi_recorder

Posted 8 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  16. FastAidy

Hi all
    I love this game top notch job on the remake. But the eygptus levels can't seem to be able to make the jump that heels has to make in the first room after they split, Help!!! I have the amiga vesion of the game so I have dug out my old A1200 to see if I could get passed this room and low and behold got passed it first time. Is this a bug with the remake or I'am I just doing something wrong.

Posted 8 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  17. Zoolook

Dont know about any trainers you might have tried, but you can take a look at mine if you fancy. Made with Cheat-Engine and gives options to:

Give infinte lives
    Set a specific number of lives for each character (just in case you have trouble with one)
    Invulnerability (toggles in case you fall into a deadly floor and cant jump back up)
    Get Head's hooter and/or Heels' bag
    Infinite donuts, Infinite Head's fast steps, Infinite Heels' high jumps
    And... AND a working infinite Reincarnation fish cheat... don't even need to collect 1.

PM me if you fancy a gander at it.

EDIT: Do PMs work?

Posted 7 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  18. FastAidy

hi Zoolook
    It's not that I can't finish the game or need cheats, I just think the level design is wrong. The jump is impossible!!! tried everything. Don't think PMs work thanks for the shout out

Posted 7 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  19. Zoolook

Is that the room where you have a (sort of) staircase with some of the blocks dissapearing when Heels steps on them, but also with toasters above and below so your jumps need to be absolutely pixel perfect?

Yeah, I remember it well, and it took me about 3 hours and untold numbers of restarts to get it right... I personally think it's the hardest part of the game since if you dont have the forethought to save before trying it, you can pretty much wipe out your 30 odd lives in one sitting. QUITE annoying!

(edit)
    I don't think the level design is wrong, I think (from memory at least) the speed of the original enabled a few frames to walk on a dissapearing block, which may have been programmed into the remake, but the respective FPS has shot up to the point that the block is gone before you can walk on it.

I DID notice the doorways being able to block your characters from wall hugging though!

Posted 7 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  20. FastAidy

Yeah thanks for that will give it a go, you're right about the doors pain in the arse but heh! minor problem. once again GREAT GAME would love to some more like this

Posted 7 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  21. Lebostein

Very great game!!!! Thank you.

But the game has one big design error. The door columns are OUTSIDE in the wall!! That is not original an very strange:

http://www.lebostein.de/temp/HOH_Retrospec.png

This has disastrous effects on the gameplay! The character can jump against the door columns or the character can get stuck on it, if you not control precisely! With your implementation you generate half or quarter tiles on the walkable floor! If your charakter fall, he can land on the door!

Posted 7 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  22. Jamdog

I remember spending many, many hours playing Head Over Heels on an Amstrad PCW (in glorious green-screen monochrome), and yet I still consider it to be one of the best games I have ever played, even though I never completed it (I think I only ever managed to liberate 2 planets).

Your remake is phenomenal. It accurately recreates the Head Over Heels experience. There are posts above complaining about doors sticking out from the walls, and minor differences in some levels where jumps can't be done, but so far I've not fallen victim to these, having only played to the market place. As long as these minor problems don't prevent you from completing the game or getting through a room, I don't see them as problems at all, but challenges that are part of the gameplay.

I just love being able to play this game with good graphics, and plan to play it a lot in the coming weeks. Thanks for releasing it!

Posted 6 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  23. The Letter M

What are the chances of a Universal Binary for the OSX version? Given that it looks like Apple have removed Rosetta from Lion, it doesn't look like we'll be able to run a native OSX version.

Posted 6 years ago #
    Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.