Search:  

Retrospec Forum » Feedback on Retrospec Games

[closed]

Halls Of The Things

(22 posts)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. Anonymous

No diary for this one. Hopefully a bit of a surprise, despite the fact that its been 30 months and a complete rewrite since the last release. :)
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  2. Anonymous

Hello , well done love the game but my only problem is that i cannot use my control pad! The directional pad moves the man but the buttons dont do anything? is there some way to assign buttons? i would love to see this game with functional controller support cos i cant play for aslong as need with the keyboard, you know how long and hard this game is . Is a great remake of great game tho well done!
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  3. Anonymous

Matt,

Great to see the finished article. Thanks very much for the mention in the scrolly message - a very pleasant surprise!
    I shall give it a thorough playtest soon (as time permits), comments will follow. I'm also going to update my website to put a link to your HotT.

BTW, it plays fine on my Geforce 4200. Oh, and love the intro - sets the scene nicely. Now what about some code to warm up the right hand corner of the keyboard of my PC... :)

Steve

================================
    Reality.sys not found. (A)bort, ®etry, (B)ig bang?
    ================================
    http://www.steveb.co.uk
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  4. Anonymous

Don't hate me.. I never played this on my speccy..

I think I just missed the moment. However, I read various ravings about this game, so after seeing a remake, thoguht I'd give it a go.

Nice one!... As I said, I've no idea how the original played. This remake is a good laugh to play!

That's all from me.

GuyTHP

The Hairy Pies
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  5. Anonymous

Matt,

Love the re-write. I thought I was the only person to play HotT on the Spectrum (I think I still have the original cassette somewhere). There was also Warlock Of Firetop Mountain which looked like it used the Things "engine".

It would be really, really nice to be able to have a save game option - I know the original didn't but I don't get hours on end to play games any more and a save feature would be the icing on the cake. If you don't have the time perhaps you could send me the source and I'll have a go myself?

"I want to move to Theory....Everything works in Theory"
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  6. Anonymous

Warlock of Firetop Mountain was indeed based on this game. I remember scrolling through the code for that in a monitor, and there were plenty of hidden messages - there always were in Design Design/Crystal games. But the one in WOFM said something like "Sorry this game is so shit, but we literally only had two weeks to write it"

smile.gif

J
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  7. Anonymous

I've just uploaded the final release. This one comes with a highscore table. The original Crystal games were known for their fruity hidden messages in the high score tables. Well, I've not gone that far. And that should hopefully be it for HotT for the next 20 years or so.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  8. Anonymous

Hi Matt,

There's a slight bug in the high score routine. I just played a game and got 3 rings. Pressed U to upload my score and it said "Upload failed, try entering manually" which I did. It then said the code had already been entered. I check the high score table and sure enough, there was my score but showing 0 rings!

"I want to move to Theory....Everything works in Theory"
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  9. Anonymous

Spoke a bit too soon. I've fixed the bug about not including the rings (Very sorry) and uploaded a new and working installtion now.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  10. Anonymous

Not sure if I'm being a moron or not, but I believe there's a problem with monster corpses being able to block up doorways and make levels uncompletable. Other than that, a superb remake!

Dene
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  11. Anonymous

Ah, this ones easy. Dead things can be picked up (Providing that you have space in your pack) and dropped out of the way. I'll save you the misty memories of when I used to build a 'house' for a thing using egg piles, annoy them until they ran out of magic and arrows, then try to tame them.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  12. Anonymous

I've just loaded HotT and it looks ready to run but the 3 weapon keys dont work on my kbd, the PC is Windows XP, anyone got any ideas what may be wrong?

Cheers.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  13. Anonymous

This might well be because you only fire off weapons once a thing has presented itself to you as a target. Go and find one and try then. Other than that I'm not quite sure. Caps lock?
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  14. Nathan Rutherford

Does anyone know the total amount of creatures in the game??

I've got 288 but am not sure if this is right.

It equates to 32 creatures a level (over 9 levels)

Although it did say 100% monsters Slain -

I'm just wondering if anyone knew
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  15. Anonymous

Feck me! I wrote it and I'm pleased with myself if I clear out one level! excited.gif There are indeed 32 things per level across 9 levels, exactly like the original game. Very well done indeed biggrin.gif
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  16. Nathan Rutherford

In the words of the immortal homer - WOO HOO

I was having a competition with my old man (we were addicted to it back in the old days) and wondered who could finish it 1st and I won !!!
    Posted 12 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  17. crem

Gah... I dunno. You go to the trouble of writing it but put such bloody-awful keys on it that it can't be played properly. Now, where have I heard that before? <grin>

It's interesting playing someone else's version of HOTT, but I really can't get to grips with your key layout. I don't suppose I could prevail upon you to do a version with the 'right' keys? For us poor olde evil lords who are set in our ways? I just can't drive HOTT using a cursor pad...

Simon Brattel
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  18. crem

> I don't suppose I could prevail upon you to do a version with the 'right' keys?

Don't worry about it; I hacked a bit of hardware together that sits between the keyboard and the PC and allows me to remap the keys as I like. It'll be useful for other games, no doubt. Should have done it as a PC driver I suppose, but delving about in low-level windoze code is not my idea of fun. [shudder]

(For reference none of the PC keyboard remapping utilities I could find worked. They don't work at a low enough level, though I suppose they could).

For what it's worth using ZXNMKDF mapped as for HOTT and the space-bar for lightning seems to work well for me...

Playing this made me come over all nostalgic and dig out the original halls sources, which surprisingly didn't need much massaging before they'd assemble correctly. We may have to release a new Spectrum version for the 25th anniversary <grin>
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  19. crem

Hmmm.

(1) A couple of times I've seen an "index out of range (261)" error reported when things get particularly busy in the bottom level. The game has to be given the good old three finger salute at this point... Which is a trifle upsetting if you've cleared all the other levels getting there...

(2) I completed the game, was told I'd killed 100% of the things, etc, but instead of pressing space to continue I think I must have hit "c" (start of crem) and the bloody thing jumped straight out of the hiscore routine and entered a blank name in the local highscore table without giving me the opportunity to upload the result. Sob.

I think the bloody thing hates me...
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  20. Anonymous

Blim, hello Simon. I am in hallowed company. I've only just spotted this entry now.

I've actually had a few requests for the crazy zxnm keys of old. Maybe I'll return to that. I'm sorry about the bug message on the bottom level as well. Its not something I've seen. Maybe there is a limit to 255 missiles at once, though I doubt it (There can be many thousands of sparks at a time).

A 25th anniversary would be rocking. Its about time there was a 128K version. With multi player.

My next remake is going to be It's the Wooluf. Actually, that would be fantastic on the Nintendo Wii. How about it?
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  21. crem

> I've actually had a few requests for the crazy zxnm keys of old.

ZXNM crazy? Gah, as movement keys they were perfect, couldn't do better <grin>
    Mind you, our using practically all the rest of the keys as well (n-n-n-nineteen of 'em) wasn't so good, except for the occasions when young female students were enticed to sit on your lap while you played in order to give something a damned good effing. And there are naive people who think we used the F key just because fireball started with F... Gah. Where was I? Oh yes...

The first time we showed anyone Halls was in a common room at one of the Manchester halls of residence. The game wasn't finished but it was reasonably close to what was released. It started out as a couple of people wondering why we were messing with the television and generally moaning at the three of us... It then turned into an all-night party with twenty or thirty people (complete strangers to us) fighting to get at the spectrum to have a go... There'd be someone handling the movement keys and various others reaching over to do the lightning, or fireballs. Fireballs were popular - whenever a monster appeared everyone would shout "Go on - eff it!" and suchlike... It was at that point we realised we had a success on our hands. In fact, I can remember turning to Martin/Neil and saying "You realise we'll never do anything better than this, don't you?" which turned out to be fairly prophetic...

> Maybe I'll return to that. I'm sorry about the bug message on the bottom level
    > as well. Its not something I've seen.

It is also possible that the keyboard hack I was using to re-map the key codes caused the game some bother, it was a bit rushed. OK, it was garbage. An AVR conversion of some H8 assembler I had sitting about... Wouldn't put it entirely past it to have sent the PC some peculiar bytes.

> Maybe there is a limit to 255 missiles at once, though I doubt it (There can be
    > many thousands of sparks at a time).

I'd doubt it as well, I think that'd show up more often.

> A 25th anniversary would be rocking. Its about time there was a 128K version.
    > With multi player.

I was sufficiently bored to dig out the Z80 sources and brush them off, but (aside from finding one long-standing bug) I haven't done anything with them.

> My next remake is going to be It's the Wooluf. Actually, that would be fantastic
    > on the Nintendo Wii. How about it?

I always liked the simplicity of that game... Not one of mine, though. If memory serves a guy called Martin Buller sent it in to us on spec, and we liked it enough to publish it.
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  22. crem

While I'm here, if anyone is interested in the nostalgia value the original halls source code is available at Halls sources

There are two sets of the files, one set is exactly as the original and the other has a few changes and added comments (I was extremely bored)...

Contains some remarkably childish language, and illustrates the compressed style we had to have to fit the app into the ~40K of SRAM that the development machines had. And that's with development tools that tokenised the source to save space...
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.