Search:  

Retrospec Forum » Feedback on Retrospec Games

[closed]

Highway Pursuit

(56 posts)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. Anonymous

Well it took me nearly a year to write (just not enough time in each day!) but v1.0 is finally finished. I hope everyone likes it. :)

Adam.
    http://www.adamdawes.com
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  2. Anonymous

Looks great! I know I didn't have as much to do with this game as others but I'm glad it's finally done. I'm even on the hi-score table - for the moment ;)

Bill.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  3. Anonymous

Adam - what a great, great game. I swear, the Xbox or GC haven't been on since I downloaded it. It's one of those games that just feels great to play. Incorporating the combo system just keeps me coming back for more.

One little quirk / buglet - occasionally when entering a weapons van, you suddenly reappear somewhere else being dropped off by the regular van (as if you have lost a life), but you don't actually lose a life. Most odd.

No matter, as this is seriously addictive and fun.

My only suggestion for an improvement would be to make the weapons vans a little sturdier when they are behind the player, as they tend to get blown up before I even see them most of the time. Sometimes getting into the van is a bit fiddly, but it gets easier.

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work in making a great game.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  4. Anonymous

Not bad at all. Brought back some happy memories, and without having to have a pocket full of 10p pieces!!!

Well done

~ J ~
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  5. Anonymous

Just 2 things. Change the Km to meters and make an in game highscore table for meters.

Love the game 9.5 out of 10 with the above changes and a slightly wider weapons van it will get a 10 out of 10
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  6. Anonymous

And one more thing give the wepons van a repluse gun or something. SO I DON`T GET SMASED INTO IT BY A STUPID PURPLE CAR!!
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  7. Anonymous

Sorry got a biy mad there.

I would like to ask you to reduce the damage you get from crashing into cilviens. About 50% less would be nice
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  8. Anonymous

I'd probably like it better if it actually worked. As it is; I get an unplayable mass of black and white; and I can't even tell if I'm playing or if it's running a demo. I can't get to the options; assuming they exist. I'm running WinXP home; with Direct X 8.1; everything else; from games as ancient as The Bard's Tale on up to Icewind Dale 2 works fine.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  9. Anonymous

G R E A T ! ! !

I'm looking forward to version 2 with more roads, bridges, tunnels and some people and pets walking around. AND I wish to drive in reverse too! WOW!
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  10. Anonymous

After 24hr.
    Now score 20,000,000!! 5lives left....
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  11. Anonymous

You are a GENIUS! This game rocks, but now I need more, obstacles, weapons, jumps, it would be really funnier. THANK YOU!!
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  12. Anonymous

This game is really cool,but I have ideas:1.Fuel.Car needs a fuel,so that will be a more fun,so how about for a a some gas stations(8-10 km,write your idea).2.More levels(4-5)with different states.For example:Great Britain,Germany,Italy,France and Belgium.3.Real highway with two ways.That's all.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  13. Anonymous

Just one thing.Sometimes hi-scores(kilometers) are really odd.Where's mistake?
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  14. gregor

there is a key jamming problem. if you hold forward cursor + left cursor + space at the same time nothing works and computer starts beeping. this could be avoided if user could define his own keys or at least if instead of space Q would be used.
    otherwise nice game, just the exploded cars stop too quickly so you bump too often into them (they should still travel with certain velocity).
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  15. Anonymous

Great, simple and incredibly addictive game. Some (hopefully) constructive criticism, though: The physics model seems a bit fiddly at times, especially when it comes to collisions. Sometimes one bump at high speed can take over half of your health or send you speeding to the side of the road. Especially irritating when you slow down waiting for the van to catch up and BAM! someone hits you in the rear and the car explodes. A more serious problem I've noticed is that if you task-switch during the game (alt-tab), the game goes into pause mode that seems to have no way of turning it off.

---
    People are crazy and times are strange
    I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
    I used to care, but things have changed

-Bob Dylan
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  16. Anonymous

I love this game! No more dropping quarters into old broken arcades! My one complaint - the steering control isn't sensitive enough with my MS Sidewinder joypad, even at the highest setting. I want to be able to weave this rig all over the road! :-)

GREAT retro game, I don't think you missed a beat.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  17. Anonymous

I'VE TRIED TO DOWNLOAD THIS GAME BUT WHEN I TRY TO RUN THERE´S A MESSAGGE "REQUIRED D308.DLL NOT FOUND". ¿WHAT CAN I DO?. THANKS
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  18. Anonymous

The D3D8.dll error is because you don't have DirectX8.1 or later installed.

You can get the latest version of DirectX by visiting the following web site: http://www.microsoft.com/directx.

Have fun!

Adam.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  19. Anonymous

Great game.

Couple of small points:

I agree that the Trucks need to be tougher - I see one appear after passing it maybe 1 in 5.
    *Just realised that it is more likely that they aren't fast enough to keep up at 180. So, rather than being parked at the side, apply the "Spy Who Loved Me" formula, with mobile upgrade vehicles. Possibly in the future add Purchasable upgrades rather than random? Could then add AT missiles to kill the Jeeps, turrets for all round fire, heavier guns to do more damage &c.*

I would also like to see tougher armour on the rear facing of the car - it gets annoying when there is a bootleneck and about four come from behind at once so you are guarrenteed to get hit, even worse when there is a chassis in front of you at the time as you can effectively get hit 3-4 times when you slow down for the Weapon Vans to appear.

Any chance of an equivalent to the "King of the Road" turning up?

Note to Marek: No real need for fuel unless you are travelling like 300Km +... fueld doesn't burn up that quickly. If fuel was installed, I would prefer a Roadblasters style whereby checkpoints refuel you to a set amount and there are fuel "globes" to tag enroute to help you rach the next checkpoint.

PS. Forgot to say that I found this game through a note in PC Gamer April 2004, UK edition.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  20. Anonymous

14) when you slow down to try to set up some combinations you become rear-end fodder for hordes of enemies who must have been concealed on the side of the road, waiting for their big opportunity.

13) when you speed up to create distance between you and slow enemies the slow enemies become fast enemies... then super-fast enemies... whatever causes you the greatest inconvenience.

12) you discover the grass is not really grass but green acid, and that it corrodes just as well at two miles an hour as 200 miles an hour.

11) you think ashley has a sexy voice but have no way of telling her.

10) you get your weapon of choice, train yourself to become a killing master with it, then something goes wrong, you die, the weapon is gone, and you feel like a helpless infant, pushing the weapons button over and over and watching in misery as nothing comes out the back of your car.

9) you grab the missiles, line up the helicopter perfectly, and proceed to miss point blank... and again... until your missiles are gone.

8 ) you laugh your ass off at all the stupid enemies you led to their deaths on twisty turns without even touching them, only to realise you haven't earned a single point for any of them.

7) you kill an enemy successfully but it's burnt-out shell continues to haunt you for the next three miles.

6) you get to the fog area where you and the pedestrian cars must drive very carefully to preserve your lives and realise the enemy car drivers must be equipped with infra-red goggles... which you can't find anywhere in your glove compartment!

5) you have a 10x-kill lined up and the road suddenly starts getting twisty to save that car... just long for the bonus timer to expire.

4) you play good samaritan, pulling over to the side of the road successfully for the little old lady driving the weapons van to catch up to you, then:

A) a fork in the road comes up and she takes the wrong turn, or,

B) a couple enemies hit the scene, you deal with them, and suddenly she's ten miles behind again (if not outright lost), or,

C) you line the truck up perfectly for docking and she forgets to lower the ramp... but once the opportunity is lost the ramp seems to have no problem being lowered... which still doesn't prevent it from being raised again when you get yourself ready to dock again.

3) you hit a tunnel and discover that you have some kind of rocket-science power-steering that just kicked in.

2) you do a superb job of survival, getting all the way to the residential area before losing, only to notice that you've gotten a measly 40,000 points for your efforts, and that survival isn't really the name of this game.

<<<<<<< AND DRUMROLL, PLEASE >>>>>>>>

1) you realise that even if you spend every day of your life playing this game, you don't have a chance in hades of catching the monstrous scores on the web list!
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  21. Anonymous

a problem me and my friends have found:

1) when switching off to another app (ALT-TAB) the game goes into a different pause mode than the normal (ESC) pause mode. it shows a black screen with something that looks like a super-NES console and the message "paused".

problem is, nothing seems to recover from this 'pause'... the application pretty-much seems to have locked up. so... help?

2) any cheats for this game available? i assume they disable the hiscore function, which is exactly what i would want, but my skill only takes me so far (after weeks of playing), and i would really love to see what future scenes look like... rain? snow? james bond boat-sequence?

thanks for any help! :)
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  22. Anonymous

TICKET CLOSED: actually good that the author never responded to my email request; made me figure out the answer to both... 1) is PAUSE/BREAK key, 2) is... hehe... (maybe that explains those ridiculous scores on the global hiscore list)
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  23. Anonymous

OF course, there are Cheats in the main Menu there is a cheatmenu which u can open with ctrl+C right?
    rockets-----needrockets
    oil---------oiltapestry
    smoke-------foggyweather
    immortal----godisalive

but did I mention: They don't work at all(with my Version)
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  24. Anonymous

This is the second time today I've seen someone making reference to these "cheats" for Highway Pursuit. Don't waste your time trying to get them to work, as they're all fake.

They seem to have originated on a German web site, I can only imagine they put them up there for a laugh as they really don't exist in the game.

There aren't any cheats built in to Highway Pursuit at all, nor is there a cheat menu. If anyone finds otherwise I would be very interested to know how they did it! :-)

Adam.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  25. Anonymous

Well, I'm from Germany and I saw the Site as well but they didn't work at all, but perhaps s.o. could "build a Cheat Menu" into the game just to see how far thist Game reaches. My record was 33km but i'd like to know what would come after the Ice...pleeeeaaaaase :-D
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  26. Anonymous

Ummm...Daniel(i´m from Germany,too),You want cheats?
    Try to cheat Lives with GameWiz32. I have a table already made. Mail me,if you want it.
    BTW Highway Pursuit is a great Game. :-)
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  27. Anonymous

I just discovered this game a couple of days ago and I have been hooked ever since. Kudos to everyone on a fantastic and largely faithful remake of one of my personal favourite retro titles. I have only one small piece of feedback on the game that though it is minor, could greatly improve the gameplay experience. The Weapons Vans need to learn how to stay in a straight line or the game needs to be a little bit more forgiving in terms on when it lets you in the vans. I've lost many lives because the van all of a sudden veers off in one direction or another or because in order to properly enter the van when its doing this, I have to slow down so much that I get smashed into from behind. If the van could either stay in a striaght line of have a predictable driving pattern, it would make this easier. Or perhaps, if the game could be configured so that you don't have to be dead on center to enter the van, that might alleviate this as well. As I said, this is a minor problem at best in an other wise fantastic title! I've submitted it to RetroGaming Radio for review on their show and I'm convinced they'll love it. :) Great job!
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  28. Anonymous

Hello,i am crazy about this game.Very good :)
    i have two questions.
    1)what is dead zone and why can't we change it?
    2)i find 19 3ds max scene's in the hpursuit.hod file.i tried to export them but max didn't opened it.how can i open?
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  29. Anonymous

Hi Eren,

Glad you like the game. To answer your questions:

1. Dead Zone is used by analogue controllers (such as steering wheels) and controls how far you have to move the wheel away from the central position before the game starts to register the movement. It's disabled if you're using the keyboard as a controller as the keyboard isn't analogue.

2. The files are protected using an ultra-high-security military-grade public/private key encryption system. Actually, they're not -- I've no idea why you can't open them. :)

Adam.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  30. Anonymous

Been playing this for several months, here's my major complaints:

1) Why the penalty for driving in the grass? Make this somewhat realistic please, your car doesn't blow up driving in the grass ... you'll just slow down a heck of a lot!

2) More like a pet peeve, can we switch between kilometers and miles (not that it makes a difference, fark, 1mi=1km for all I care, it's just a game! ;-)

3) Why so much damage when hitting stuff at high speed? Again, some realism here, if I hit a box a high speed, it's gonna bust up and not do any more damage than when I hit it at low speeds.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.