Search:  

Retrospec Forum » Feedback on Retrospec Games

[closed]

Cybernoid 2

(34 posts)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. Anonymous

If this game turns out as smooth and sweet looking as the screenshots then we are all in for a damn fine remake. Brilliant...
    But i couldn't figure out the latest news ? No new screenies, and no new message ? What's been updated ??

I think, therefore i am, i think ?!?
    Hittman.
    D's a non curly quaver
    Posted 16 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  2. Anonymous

AAAaahhh. Is it the title screen... Looks very cool...

I think, therefore i am, i think ?!?
    Hitman.
    Posted 16 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  3. Anonymous

That obscure message is automatically generated by the code whenever we change any of the game details that you see in details page. That way it appears on the home page automatically to inform of changes:

S is for a new screen shot
    D is for a diary update
    G is for modifying the game details or game

Obviously Graham couldn't think of anything exciting to say (or forgot) and so left the default ;-)

Looking at the page, it looks as if the change was the logo for the game (see the top of the game details page).

Neil.

BTW, you won't see this entry in the game feedback page, only here in the forum. Its a little known thing I stuck in whereby you can reply to a message but you don't want it to be part of the feedback section of the game as its not really relevant.
    Posted 16 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  4. Anonymous

Indeed I am the culprit Mr. Walker & Hitman. And indeed it was only the little title pic I updated cos Graham seems to be dragging his heels! ;) hee hee.
    Posted 16 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  5. Anonymous

I think its about time for the game to be tested by others as I'd like to see if all the sound effects are there!

Oh, and get to bed at a sensible time John ;-)

Neil.
    Posted 16 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  6. Anonymous

oooo is that an offer? I'll do a little testing for you =o)
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  7. Anonymous

Me... me... me... I'm a great tester...
    me... me... me..........

Hittman

Mr D's a Stinky NikNak ...
    http://retro-remakes.emuunlim.com/
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  8. Anonymous

Any chance you would be using your Cybernoid 2 game engine to re-create Cybernoid ??
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  9. Anonymous

Any chance you would be using your Cybernoid 2 game engine to re-create Cybernoid ??

Nah, not really. Sunteam are doing as remake of Cybernoid which is nearly finished as we speak, and to be perfectly honest I want to try summat original next (unless someone just happens to shove beautifully recoloured graphics for Switchblade my way in which case I'll happily do a remix of that. Or Rex, for that matter). If anyone wanted to use the code to do Cybernoid, though, I'd probably be up for taking them through it. It's very messy, however.

--
    Graham Goring
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  10. Anonymous

It all looks very good :)

If you're needing a playtester, I'm more than happy to throw my name into the hat.
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  11. Anonymous

It all looks very good :)

If you're needing a playtester, I'm more than happy to throw my name into the hat.

Ta' but all the playtesting is pretty much internal. Russ has spotted the lion's share of the bugs so far. I think it's pretty water-tight at the moment.

--
    Graham Goring
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  12. Anonymous

Downloaded it t'other day. It's brilliant! :)

Congratulations (and thanks) to all involved.
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  13. Anonymous

Okay, I've only played this once but I have to say... This is the best remake ever!

Really though, it's spot on! THIS is the way remakes should be done. I mean, now I don't have to mess around with those Spectrum / C64 emulators so I can use all the buttons on my joypad! <g>

Graphics are excellent, the sound was always excellent, now it's better... What else can I say? Maybe I'll get to complete it now <g>.

-Steve Halfpenny

P.S. That Skool Daze / Back To Skool remake (Class Of 99) was great too but this really is the dog's you know what.
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  14. Anonymous

WOOOOOOOOOOOW! IT'S *REALLY* GOOD!

Graphics are first rate, sounds are cool, music is very good - Brilliant work. Like 'Klass of 99' I don't think it could have been done better!

Amazing considering it was written in Blitz Basic.
    Which, IMHO, unfortunately seems to suffer on slower machines.
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  15. Anonymous

Amazing considering it was written in Blitz Basic.
    Which, IMHO, unfortunately seems to suffer on slower machines.

I've had reports of it running full speed on a P200mmx, but you're right that K6's run Blitz games *really* badly.
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  16. Anonymous

Blitz Basic is a great language as Cybernoid II shows ;) Depends how good a programmer you are. For instance my Chuckie Egg game isn't very good on low spec machines (anything below 400mhz) cos I'm not as a good a programmer as Graham is ;) Well done GG for an outstanding technical achievement and gameplay. :D
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  17. Anonymous

Well said John. The game oozes quality from every pixel. Excellent graphics, sound, effects and most of all Gameplay. Gameplay is the key, and this has it in abundance... GG is indeed a top man !!

By the way. The second stage is bloody hard init ? I will do it damnit...

Hitman

RR News Guy - And Logo Maker
    http://retro-remakes.emuunlim.com/
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  18. Anonymous

Well said John. The game oozes quality from every pixel. Excellent graphics, sound, effects and most of all Gameplay. Gameplay is the key, and this has it in abundance... GG is indeed a top man !!

Aw, shucks... :)
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  19. Anonymous

Thanks to the folks who like the music I did for the game :) Does my ego good! Anyway, I am now working full-time at Rockstar (currently working on Grand Theft Auto Vice City) so keep an eye out for it later this year. Cheers!
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  20. Anonymous

Oh... I've also done the music for Russel Hoy's forthcoming Exolon conversion.
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  21. Anonymous

too many explosions?
    :)
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  22. Anonymous

Impossible! You can never have enough explosions! ;)

--
    Graham Goring
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  23. Anonymous

hey, don't you think that BlitzBasic SUX? 6mb SPECTRUM game?! remakes seems to be overbloated just like todays PC games. boys, do REMAKES but not MONSTERS!
    damn it, i MUST do remake of something to show the way...
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  24. Anonymous

Admittedly the Blitz BASIC executables are far from slimline (though I ran it through UPX and that seems to halve it's size). The only reason the game is 6mb is because of all the resource files. The game contains a lot of graphics and the mp3s are the single largest bits of it (and obviously they don't zip down at all well). So it's not really Blitz BASIC's fault, it's mine for wanting to create a polished product.

So, until you prove yourself and write your own remake (which I expect to be just as polished as C2 but half the size) then I'll disregard your opinion. Please prove me wrong, though.

--
    Graham Goring
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  25. Anonymous

The only reason the game is 6mb is because of all the resource files.

ok. i've seen it. but you can compress graphics, aren't you?

So, until you prove yourself and write your own remake (which I expect to be just as polished as C2 but half the size) then I'll disregard your opinion. Please prove me wrong, though.

heh. do something just to compete with you? %-) ok, may be we'll start Zynaps conversion. I myself is not good in graphics at all %-(, but anyway i'll look for artists just to proove that games can be small and cool %-)

p.s.
    C2 was the great game! really great. and your conversion is great too. i just don't like Blitz Basic %-)
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  26. Anonymous

ok. i've seen it. but you can compress graphics, aren't you?

Well, they were stored as PNGs (which are already compressed) so zipping them didn't have a huge effect. Mainly it was the music, which was 4.23 mb and didn't zip down at all, though. The data.pak file is 2mb (zipped) which equates to 500K for the graphics and 1.5mb for the sounds effects and map files. Now the sound couldn't be compressed that much unless I'd coverted it to mp3 form, and even then I'd have to convert it back to wav at the other end (no idea how to do that) as you can't use mp3s themselves for sound effects because of the processor hit.

So basically, if I'd left out the sound, the game would have been about 1.2mb (which is a far more reasonable prospect) but I wanted it to be nice and brash and loud.

heh. do something just to compete with you? %-) ok, may be we'll start Zynaps conversion. I myself is not good in graphics at all %-(, but anyway i'll look for artists just to proove that games can be small and cool %-)

Zynaps was quite a cool game, though could be very unforgiving. Technically it would be a cake-walk though, I'd imagine. I'm currently writing a vertically scrolling shooter and it's unbelievably complex compared to most stuff I've played before as I've made a miniature programming language within the game to control the enemies in it. Kinda' over the top, but it should allow for loads of really unique stuff that you don't see too often in shooters.

p.s.
      C2 was the great game! really great. and your conversion is great too. i just don't like Blitz Basic %-)

Well, there is a stigma attached to anything written using a package like Blitz or DIV or whatever. Perhaps in future I'll not mention it on the tin, so to speak, and we'll see how it fares. I'm just as guilty of making snap judgements about games made in things like Dark BASIC, or DIV Basic or especially Klik 'n' Play and it's ilk.

--
    Graham Goring
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  27. Anonymous

The Cybernoid 2 music is AMAZING. Well done Will Morton! I collect the best game music, I've got lots of Amiga Mod tracks from the glory days of that machine and new ones...... your track stands out! I can't say I remember the original music by Rafaelle Cecco to compare...... Anyway, the game is super... .Are you planning to post the music as a seperate file?
    On another note ,I was also a Spectrum user between 1985 and 1988, and your site gave me so much joy and memories. Keep it up lads. From RetroSpec’s biggest fan in Jordan.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  28. Anonymous

Oops..... found the music MP3 files already seperate! Didn't notice them before.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  29. Anonymous

Yeah! I must say that this game (and It's sucessor Exolon) are proving to be the best examples of Blitz 2D I've seen!!

Ketmar: Come on mate I mean compare the original game with the remake!! Do you really expect the remake to fit into 48k like the orginal yet still achieve the same upgrade in graphics/sound/quality?? get real...

As I said before this game is everthing I could have hoped a remake could be.... superb

Who Whacks Mr Whacker? (his wife??)
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  30. Anonymous

That's my kind of message, thanks! :)

For my next remake, well, it won't actually be a remake. I'm planning doing a game which has a lot in common with regards to design and gameplay with a very old classic game which was released by Superior Software back on the BBC. Btw, it ain't Elite.

--
    Graham Goring
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.