AXL projects

(10 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by retrospec
  • Latest reply from robert@fm

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. retrospec
    Lord of the Manor

This section is for feedback and questions on the AXL projects. These are closely tied Allegro libraries to perform graphics storage, animation, configuration, initialisation and a gaming framework.

GRANI: The animation playback and graphics repository is available and in the download

CONCUR: The Allegro configuration, initialisation, customisation and system setup library is finished but not in the download.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  2. Anonymous

Seems to compile OK on Mac and on Linux (I only tested animation example 1, see attached) - looking good!
    [attachmentid=14][attachmentid=15]
    I had to write a few makefiles for it though

Pete
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  3. retrospec
    Lord of the Manor

Cheers, were there any dodgy coding problems, and did you get the version with just the animation or the animation and configurator?

I'm about to release the third exciting installment soon, the framework wink.gif

Can I have the makefiles for my project? but if the mac just uses gcc, can you not just use the makefile produced by devc++?

The framework sort of ties the configuration and the animation libraries together and creates a complete framework centred around a fps limiting loop and handles triple/double/paged buffering, sound/music, etc. and all you write is function hooks and need not worry about any allegro timers, drawing, etc.

Neil.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  4. Anonymous

The makefiles are attached. There's one per directory, so that 'make' in the toplevel will build all the dependent libraries and examples.

Cheers,
    Pete
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  5. Anonymous

Cheers, the framework is just about done as well. I've been having loads of problems (probably seen my posts regarding system and video subbitmaps crashing and returning the wrong images), but no-one seems that bothered about fixing it, I can't follow the code that I know is wrong so can't really fix it sad.gif

I'm going to rewrite it so I don't use subbitmaps on tiled graphic files in the meantime by creating new images instead of sub-bitmaps.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  6. acid_head

Hi,

I would like to know how is the code of the library licenced, and how can I get the latest version (CVS?)?
    And where can I find the posts where you describe your problems, maybe I can help...

QUOTE(neil @ Jan 9 2006, 11:17 PM)
    Cheers, the framework is just about done as well. I've been having loads of problems (probably seen my posts regarding system and video subbitmaps crashing and returning the wrong images), but no-one seems that bothered about fixing it, I can't follow the code that I know is wrong so can't really fix it sad.gif

I'm going to rewrite it so I don't use subbitmaps on tiled graphic files in the meantime by creating new images instead of sub-bitmaps.
    [right][snapback]1414[/snapback][/right]
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  7. Anonymous

It is free.

All the sub-bitmap problems have been solved with the latest CVS release of Allegro. In the project directory of the download is a version of the allegro dll that has these fixes, and also includes hardware accelerated stretching.

As for the 'Framework is almost done', it is done and the full version has been released. Visit the download page for AXL (from the main menu, utilities drop down) and you can view the documentation.

Neil.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  8. acid_head

QUOTE(neil @ Feb 11 2006, 11:19 PM)
    It is free.

I suppose you mean it's free as in "Public Domain"... :-)
    All the sub-bitmap problems have been solved with the latest CVS release of Allegro. In the project directory of the download is a version of the allegro dll that has these fixes, and also includes hardware accelerated stretching.

I'm on linux and I'm using allegro-4.2.0 (latest release and there's no wip). Can you please tell me how I can test to see if I have the problem you mention?
    As for the 'Framework is almost done', it is done and the full version has been released. Visit the download page for AXL (from the main menu, utilities drop down) and you can view the documentation.

I asked because that page suggests there is a newer version, in work, that is available only through CVS.
    Well, congratulations on your work and thank you. I was making my own AnimatedSprite class when I discovered this library. That's why I thought that if theres work in progress maybe I can help...

mihai
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  9. Anonymous

Hello,
    The fault was windows specific and to do with subbitmaps that were video bitmaps. Unix is fine so no patch required smile.gif

If you need hardware accelerated stretching, that code is in the allegro CVS somewhere or other.

If you mean AXL update, then the CVS is just the version control on my local machine. I've fixed a minor bug in the game loop method and modified the framework constructor to take XML as strings not just files (so you can supply XML via another method, e.g. dat file or to hide it from end users).

If you have any changes, by all means make them or suggest changes. Remember, if al l you are after is animations, then you can use the Animation class by itself and dump the framework and configurator files.

I'm going to do another code update before I release this new version and that is to allow you to create your own BITMAP generator function pointer as currently all you can do is use the built in one which simply calls load_bmp.

btw, are you anyone I might know at allegro.cc?
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  10. robert@fm
    Administrator

(Don't know why I only just noticed this...)

QUOTE(acid_head @ Feb 12 2006, 10:00 AM)
    QUOTE(neil @ Feb 11 2006, 11:19 PM)

It is free.

I suppose you mean it's free as in "Public Domain"... :-)
    [right][snapback]1498[/snapback][/right]

Actually, it's more likely to be "free as in freeware" -- there is very little true public domain, because (unlike freeware) PD is uncopyrighted; it doesn't belong to anyone anymore, so there's nobody to stop anyone doing possibly undesireable things with it, such as making a few trivial changes and releasing the result as a commercial product. (This has actually happened at least once.)
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.