Search:  

Retrospec Forum » Feedback on Retrospec Games

[closed]

Atic Atac

(66 posts)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. Anonymous

Feel free to comment below this message.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  2. zxfra

Atic Atac looks goood. Thanks for it. smile.gif

What about some cheats ? rolleyes.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  3. Anonymous

Excellent version of a classic original, most impressive. Well done to all involved. smile.gif

A possible bug though ......... I dropped down through two trap doors to the second basement level and went through a bookcase located at the lower end of a vertically aligned corridor. On appearing on the other side of the bookcase (in the next room) I couldn't move into the room, only left, right and backwards. This happened a few times (in the same place) but eventually I managed to get though, not sure how.

I was playing as the Wizard.

Thinking about this, is it perhaps deliberate?
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  4. Anonymous

Very nicely done!

But what do the various items you find do? It's been a long time since I played this blush.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  5. Anonymous

Wow! This is another polished piece of work! Absolutely Brilliant. I liked Atic Atac on the speccy though I never quite finished it! Came sooo close a couple of times smile.gif
    I ESPECIALLY like the game sounds being the same as the original in this remake! That really takes you back! .. and the vampire room - very cool! cool.gif

But what do the various items you find do? It's been a long time since I played this  blush.gif

Well working that out is a part of the game matey! smile.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  6. Darkside

VERY nicely done Rich...good job!

I like the way its been updated, but still retains a lot of the feel of the original, not to mention the sound effects ;-)

I must be rusty though...first go and I only managed to find two parts of the key :-/

Good work though smile.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  7. fudg3tunn3l

Very nice, enjoyed playing it.... I like the addition of the old sfx as well, brought a tear to me eye :sniff:
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  8. Anonymous

Another excellent remake, keep it up. smile.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  9. robert@fm
    Administrator

Another superb Rich J production (and kudos to the graphics/music people as well, of course), although it seems to be far more difficult than the original! cool.gif

Is there a cheat mode?  I've tried looking through the EXE with a binary-file editor, and although I couldn't find any text hinting at a cheat mode, there is text hinting at a built-in maze editor... excited.gif I wonder if this is the case?
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  10. Anonymous

You could always try a memory tracker and see how far it gets you wink.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  11. Anonymous

QUOTE(robert@fm @ May 25 2006, 03:39 PM)
    I've tried looking through the EXE with a binary-file editor, and although I couldn't find any text hinting at a cheat mode, there is text hinting at a built-in maze editor...  excited.gif I wonder if this is the case?
    [right][snapback]1665[/snapback][/right]

Ahhh! The editor is built into the game but if I build in release mode it's all ignored, so I'm suprised you found any reference to it at all. What text did you search for?

Oh and there aren't any cheat modes biggrin.gif

Rich.

PS. Thanks for the comments everyone, it's nice to have such lovely feedback excited.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  12. Anonymous

Felt I had to register for this. I've downloaded a few games from here and enjoyed them, but this one is superb. Love the way you added to all the original sound effects rather than replacing them.
    The game plays pretty much exactly like the original, although I'm sure you need to feed yourself a little more often.
    One downside is I'm totally addicted to atic atac again. I could never finish it when I was a kid, only managing for the first time when emulators came along.

On the high score table you should say which character the player used. Pointless probably but it would be nice. Percentage complete too.

Anyway, well done and thanks.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  13. Karnath

Hello everybody. I discovered two rooms with spectrum computers on the floor and devil guardians. Is there any use for them if you pick them up?
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  14. Anonymous

QUOTE(Karnath @ May 30 2006, 11:39 AM)
    Hello everybody. I discovered two rooms with spectrum computers on the floor and devil guardians. Is there any use for them if you pick them up?
    [right][snapback]1679[/snapback][/right]

What a fantastic game!!!

I was wondering about that Spectrum too. From what I've seen, there are 3 sets of hidden rooms that aren't in the original Atic Atac - each set is hidden behind a clock, barrel or bookcase, so you can only visit one of these locations in any given game, depending on your chosen game character (Serf, Knight or Wizard). After passing through a few of these rooms, you come to a dead-end room where the Spectrum (and its guardian) is found.

I have no idea what to do with this Spectrum object. I didn't notice if I got any bonus score for finding it. I took the Spectrum object to the ACG room and tried to leave through the doors with it (the doors had opened as soon as I completed the ACG key), but it wouldn't let me leave because I had to drop a bit of the key to hold the Spectrum.

This Spectrum object is the only object that didn't appear in the original Atic Atac. Maybe it is just another (seemingly) useless object like those seven other objects (skull, coin, purple gem, green bottle, red money bag, blue beads-on-a-string, yellow bat wing).

RichJ! Is there more to this than meets the eye? glare.gif Please put me out of my misery!
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  15. Karnath

Ooops! There is indeed a third location with a Spectrum computer. Guarded by Frankenstein. I tried to hit "options", in case a cheat mode was added when the Spectrum was in your possesion. Tough luck...
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  16. Anonymous

Maybe it is just another (seemingly) useless object like those seven other objects (skull, coin, purple gem, green bottle, red money bag, blue beads-on-a-string, yellow bat wing).

It's been quite a few years since I played Atic Atac, but... I think... you can drop the coin on the floor when you're in the same room as one of the baddies and he will come and stand on it. Not sure about the other items though.

Pete
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  17. Ladytelita

This is a brilliant remake of the original game, which I finished many times as a teen. Love the extra graphics and hidden rooms. biggrin.gif
    I seem to be having trouble fitting the key together though! I collect all the bits and put them in the exit room but it won't fit together or let the doors open when I hold all the pieces. sad.gif Undoubtedly I'm doing something wrong but it's getting infuriating that I spend my lives dieing trying to get through the door without success. Someone be sweet and tell me if I'm doing something wrong before I tear my hair out. laugh.gif
    P.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  18. Anonymous

You need the three keys in your posession and in the right order.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  19. Karnath

Here you go: Head first (the jeweled piece), then midsection (A.C.), and the point for last (G.). It will be assembled.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  20. robert@fm
    Administrator

QUOTE(Karnath @ Jun 14 2006, 11:53 AM)
    Here you go: Head first (the jeweled piece), then midsection (A.C.), and the point for last (G.). It will be assembled.
    [right][snapback]1749[/snapback][/right]

Erm, not quite; the midsection is the G piece and the tip is the AC piece. smile.gif

However, you're right as to the order in which the pieces need to be picked up: head, then midsection, and finally tip.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  21. Ladytelita

Love this game, although I simply cannot imagine how anyone could get a high score in the 2 minutes. dry.gif Closest I've come is in the 3's and that was hard pushed.
    I play this game far too much really. blush.gif
    P.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  22. Anonymous

Don't worry, Ignacio is just really sad and I reckon the spanish language version makes your character move quicker wink.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  23. gregor

Does it work on win98?
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  24. robert@fm
    Administrator

QUOTE(gregor @ Jun 23 2006, 01:44 PM)
    Does it work on win98?
    [right][snapback]1767[/snapback][/right]

Why not try it? smile.gif It's free... biggrin.gif

It works on WinME, hence should work on 98 (it won't work on 95, because it requires DirectX8.1 which itself won't work on 95)...
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  25. gregor

well computer is already somewhat messed up, dont' want to contribute to it by running some programmes that are not ment for it. biggrin.gif

anyway.... sweet!
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  26. Anonymous

QUOTE(neil @ Jun 23 2006, 12:06 PM)
    Don't worry, Ignacio is just really sad and I reckon the spanish language version makes your character move quicker wink.gif
    [right][snapback]1765[/snapback][/right]

And the saddest thing of all is that I only play it now and then biggrin.gif
    What can I say, it's just an easy game tongue.gif

QUOTE(gregor @ Jun 23 2006, 01:44 PM)
    Does it work on win98?
    [right][snapback]1767[/snapback][/right]

I've tried it, and yes, it works quite well under W98.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  27. shaps

no cheats yet then sad.gif, maps are same as speccy tho smile.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  28. robert@fm
    Administrator

QUOTE(shaps @ Aug 25 2006, 12:59 PM)
    maps are same as speccy tho smile.gif

Not quite; evidently you haven't found the three new secret passages (one for each character) which lead to Speccies. smile.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  29. shaps

QUOTE(robert@fm @ Aug 26 2006, 07:44 PM)
    Not quite; evidently you haven't found the three new secret passages (one for each character) which lead to Speccies. smile.gif
    [right][snapback]1870[/snapback][/right]

found 2 of em, dint know they were new tho smile.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  30. Anonymous

That's a great map, though my granny has done it quicker than 8 minutes 43 wink.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.