Search:  

Retrospec Forum » Feedback on Retrospec Games

[closed]

Atic Atac

(66 posts)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. suey

excited.gif love this new atic atac but so far have only managed to find two parts of the key.any idea what the third part looks like?.have found the acg parts.
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  2. robert@fm
    Administrator

QUOTE(suey @ Oct 11 2006, 06:41 PM)
    excited.gif love this new atic atac but so far have only managed to find two parts of the key.any idea what the third part looks like?.have found the acg parts.
    [right][snapback]1919[/snapback][/right]

In case anyone else is confused (I must admit, I didn't recognise the head of the key when first I saw it, as it's so different from the 8-bit version), I've attached to this post images of all three key parts.

(edit: I added them in the order head, shaft, tip; I don't know why they haven't come out in that order...)
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  3. fourpints

Holy crap I actually completed it. LOL only 20 years of trying! Never did finish the original. I was young back then and had no paitence!
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  4. Tara_1984uk

This was the first game I ever played. I used to play this game on the Spectrum when I was 4 years old!!
    Ive only just come across this site an Im exstatic to find all my favourites here its amazing! wub.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  5. suey

QUOTE(robert@fm @ Oct 19 2006, 07:43 PM)
    In case anyone else is confused (I must admit, I didn't recognise the head of the key when first I saw it, as it's so different from the 8-bit version), I've attached to this post images of all three key parts.

(edit:  I added them in the order head, shaft, tip; I don't know why they haven't come out in that order...)
    [right][snapback]1926[/snapback][/right]

thanks a lot i could have finished it as have seen that part loads of times gonna try again now,thanks excited.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  6. suey

QUOTE(suey @ Nov 1 2006, 10:14 PM)
    thanks a lot i could have finished it as have seen that part loads of times gonna try again now,thanks  excited.gif
    [right][snapback]1943[/snapback][/right]

excited.gif just finished it in 8 mins 12 secs brilliant,this game is too easy
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  7. synthesizer_patel

A great redux of the original - its either harder or my reflexes have slowed down in my old age.

haven't quite completed it yet, but not far off

did the programmers include the spelling mistake? - those of us who completed the old speccy version will know what I'm on about?

ps - there's something in the options screen called "force refresh" -doesnt seem to do anything different in gameplay - anyone got any ideas?
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  8. robert@fm
    Administrator

QUOTE(synthesizer_patel @ Nov 16 2006, 05:46 PM)
    did the programmers include the spelling mistake? - those of us who completed the old speccy version will know what I'm on about?

Nope, this version doesn't say "congratulations" (or "congratulationt") -- the ending is a bit more sophisticated than that. smile.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  9. Tara_1984uk

Which item moves the mummy so i can ge the red key? the red feather notworking.gif
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  10. synthesizer_patel

QUOTE(Tara_1984uk @ Nov 18 2006, 12:05 AM)
    Which item moves the mummy so i can ge the red key? the red feather  notworking.gif
    [right][snapback]1997[/snapback][/right]

correct its the red feather / leaf thing - you dont really need it at all though - just run through the mummy as quick as you can and grab thr key on the way past
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  11. synthesizer_patel

By the way - any chance we can have a clear out of the highscore table? - some killjoys have evidently found a way of posting impossibly quick times on there - and that takes all the fun out of it mad.gif

can we have genuine times only up there from now on please?
    Posted 11 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  12. Anonymous

Hello,
    What times do you feel are unfeasible? Just over a minute is quite achievable and I'd bet my mother that there is some sophisticated anti-cheating code built into the game wink.gif

But I agree we should really add a limit to the number of times you can add yourself to the list, I might just have purge at some time smile.gif
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  13. robert@fm
    Administrator

QUOTE(neil @ Nov 21 2006, 11:26 PM)
    But I agree we should really add a limit to the number of times you can add yourself to the list, I might just have  purge at some time smile.gif
    [right][snapback]2000[/snapback][/right]

The coin-op Robotron: 2084 allowed a maximum of five entries (with the same initials) into its high-score table, any more automatically caused the worst one to be deleted. smile.gif

Maybe that's the way for RetroSpec high-scores to go...
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  14. Anonymous

but then you get people putting slight variations on their name. This way it's easy to purge smile.gif
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  15. synthesizer_patel

QUOTE(neil @ Nov 21 2006, 11:26 PM)
    Hello,
    What times do you feel are unfeasible? Just over a minute is quite achievable

I've estimated that if you get a freak game where you dont need the red or blue keys, AND the first 2 sections of the main key are in easy reach then in might just about be possible to do it in a hair under 3 minutes.

However, games like that don't come up often - certainly not 3 or 4 times a day as some highscore posters would have you beleive - if you watch the top posters on the highscore board you will see that all of their scores look like they are submitted via code - not via upload from the game - as they sit in the waiting to be approved queue rather that uploading immediately - and I've seen more technologically advanced games with online highscore tables than this hacked to buggery (no offense intended to the programmers).

of course this could all be sour grapes rolleyes.gif - perhaps my methodology for finding the key sections is wrong - or perhaps my character of choice (knight) has to take a slower route through the game - be interested to find out how you reckon its possible to complete it in just over a minute
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  16. Anonymous

Ignacio did it in just over 2 minutes and reckons he can do it quicker, he's even done a video of it.

But yes, it does involve some luck in getting the pieces at nice places.
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  17. AntMaster

I can finish in a little over 2 mins - but that was with perfect key positions. I don't see how I could ever get near to the 1min 44s that's currently the best time on the high score table. There must be some trick or tactic I'm missing!

Here's the best route I know of (a little vague to avoid destroying the mystery for beginners - but I hope the experienced will understand). It depends on being lucky enough to find keys in convenient locations:

I play the wizard because the secret passages speed up some of the earlier steps below.

1) Get green key in one of the first few rooms south of the start.
    2) Go straight to golden key room and pickup key. If very lucky might find piece of main key on the way.
    3) If not found part of main key in step 2 check one of rooms next to Golden Key room for part of main key if lucky - pick it up.
    4) Go to stairs down to caverns - but droping part of main key in room just before stairs (if you had it).
    5) Enter caverns and check room where part of main key can be found within 5 "moves". If not there have to search rooms to west making use of secret passages - but loosing valuable time.
    6) Retrace steps back to basement and then up stairs to ground floor and drop part of main key here.
    7) Head to floor where handle part of key can be found. On the way, if main key not found in steps 2/3 then there's a room just one step off the route which sometimes contains main part of key - if I don't find it this time then chances of fast time have gone.
    8) Find handle of main key and use trapdoors to return to ground ASAP.
    9) Go and fetch part of main key left in step 4 if necessary, and then back to ground floor.
    10) Assemble main key and leave.

Can anyone suggest improvements?

AM
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  18. MartynJameEmma

QUOTE(synthesizer_patel @ Nov 23 2006, 02:00 AM)
    I've estimated that if you get a freak game where you dont need the red or blue keys, AND the first 2 sections of the main key are in easy reach then in might just about be possible to do it in a hair under 3 minutes.

However, games like that don't come up often - certainly not 3 or 4 times a day as some highscore posters would have you beleive - if you watch the top posters on the highscore board you will see that all of their scores look like they are submitted via code - not via upload from the game - as they sit in the waiting to be approved queue rather that uploading immediately - and I've seen more technologically advanced games with online highscore tables than this hacked to buggery (no offense intended to the programmers).

of course this could all be sour grapes  rolleyes.gif - perhaps my methodology for finding the key sections is wrong - or perhaps my character of choice (knight) has to take a slower route through the game - be interested to find out how you reckon its possible to complete it in just over a minute
    [right][snapback]2003[/snapback][/right]

There's no code submissions or cheating.

I've completed the game in 1.43 secs and reckon that had 2 keys been in better positions 1.30secs would have been possible.

Perhaps try different routes and characters
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  19. Anonymous

Items in the waiting list are those that are under a certain time. I'm pretty certain there have been no cheats yet as there are indicators in the codes to tell us this smile.gif

and that's all I can say on that subject wink.gif
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  20. Anonymous

Looks great! Just one question: why does the serf wear a turban?
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  21. robert@fm
    Administrator

QUOTE(weeble @ Jan 7 2007, 05:47 PM)
    Just one question: why does the serf wear a turban?
    [right][snapback]2022[/snapback][/right]

I was wondering that as well. smile.gif
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  22. AntMaster

QUOTE(robert@fm @ Jan 8 2007, 09:09 PM)
    I was wondering that as well. smile.gif
    [right][snapback]2023[/snapback][/right]

And why does the serf "drift" about as he moves - making it dificult to position him accurately - the other characters don't. From my memories the original game did that too.
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  23. AntMaster

QUOTE(AntMaster @ Dec 2 2006, 03:43 PM)
    I can finish in a little over 2 mins - but that was with perfect key positions. I don't see how I could ever get near to the 1min 44s that's currently the best time on the high score table. There must be some trick or tactic I'm missing!

Here's the best route I know of (a little vague to avoid destroying the mystery for beginners - but I hope the experienced will understand). It depends on being lucky enough to find keys in convenient locations:

I play the wizard because the secret passages speed up some of the earlier steps below.

1) Get green key in one of the first few rooms south of the start.
    2) Go straight to golden key room and pickup key. If very lucky might find piece of main key on the way.
    3) If not found part of main key in step 2 check one of rooms next to Golden Key room for part of main key if lucky - pick it up.
    4) Go to stairs down to caverns - but droping part of main key in room just before stairs (if you had it).
    5) Enter caverns and check room where part of main key can be found within 5 "moves". If not there have to search rooms to west making use of secret passages - but loosing valuable time.
    6) Retrace steps back to basement and then up stairs to ground floor and drop part of main key here.
    7) Head to floor where handle part of key can be found. On the way, if main key not found in steps 2/3 then there's a room just one step off the route which sometimes contains main part of key - if I don't find it this time then chances of fast time have gone.
    8) Find handle of main key and use trapdoors to return to ground ASAP.
    9) Go and fetch part of main key left in step 4 if necessary, and then back to ground floor.
    10) Assemble main key and leave.

Can anyone suggest improvements?

AM
    [right][snapback]2006[/snapback][/right]

No replies...? I'll reply to myself then....

After some experimentation and re-reviewing all the options I've changed my tactics and managed to improve my time to under 2 mins - not quite matched the best on the highscore table but not far away now. Here's a few improvements I've made...

1) identify all the possible main key positions - from that I could see I was not searching the best ares of the Caverns to give me the best chance of finding a part of the main key.

2) Part of the route change involves using trapdoor rather than stairs toget to the right areas of the Caverns quickly.

3) Sacked the wizard and hired the Serf - the secret passages are more suitable for my new route. I loose a little time on the ground floor but more than make it up elsewhere.

Anyone else got any more tips or improvements...?
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  24. MartynJameEmma

QUOTE(neil @ Jan 5 2007, 01:17 AM)
    Items in the waiting list are those that are under a certain time. I'm pretty certain there have been no cheats yet as there are indicators in the codes to tell us this smile.gif

and that's all I can say on that subject wink.gif

Where have all the high scores gone that were waiting approval? There was a time of 1.43 on there that I completed but it has not been transferred to the main table.
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  25. lemonie17

notworking.gif hi, i have only just discovered this site...so pleased co i loved atic atac as a kid. i have downloaded it, but when i click on the icon on my desktop it just says Atic Atac Configuration
    English
    windowed
    do not force 60hz

play

whatever i click on does nothing! Please can someone help!!
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  26. lemonie17

unsure.gif sorry....having ablonde moment!! sorted it now i think!!
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  27. Anonymous

Where have all the high scores gone that were waiting approval? There was a time of 1.43 on there that I completed but it has not been transferred to the main table.

Hello,
    I'm the one who usually checks the borderline scores and I have never even looked at atic atac since it started and doubt anyone else here would have deleted it. Do you have the code to submit again? if not, it's only 1 second less than your current high score smile.gif
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  28. Anonymous

I've just approved all of the current pending scores. Sorry about the delay, it usually takes me a few days biggrin.gif

It's been a while since I've read this forum but it's nice to hear from the people who are getting these amazing scores. My best is something like 4 minutes!! Can anyone video a screen grab and post it to YouTube?
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  29. KevinO

I've just got my first good (2:15) time for Atic Atac after a month or so of (very) intermittent time attack games. I had such a good map I'm sure I could have got under 2 mins easily but I bumbled a bit in the caverns, shocked everying was going so well!

Blow me down, I come to post this and start a new game to retrace my route for you and I get near-perfect key placements again! 2:12 now, more bumbling because I wasn't ready for a TA game! Like London busses - nothing for ages then two turn up at once.

Here's what I think is probably the best route, and certainly allows for sub 2-minute times. You need a good map with the keys in the right places, I got these times by restarting about 90% of my games.

WARNING - detailed spoilers follow!

Play as the Serf. You do not need the Red or the Blue key at any stage.

S, W, W, W, W (If you haven't found the green key by now, restart)
    N, W, N, N, E, E, D (You need to have found part of the main key too by now for sub-2 mins. Otherwise you can still get sub 3 but prob need the Blue Key too.)
    Take Yellow Key, SE, E, Drop everything except Green Key, D

Now we hunt for part of the main key. I'm not 100% sure of the best way to do this, but I go S, S, E, S, N, N, W, W, W. Hopefully you'll find it early in that squence of rooms, especially before charging off west. Otherwise you just have to keep searching.

Once you find it, go back through the barrel into the first room you dropped into, then N, E, E, E, S, S, S, W, W, W back into the basement. Drop everything(?) and go W, N, collect everything, S, E. You then want to rearrange your inventory so you're holding the green and yellow keys and two parts of the main key are on the floor.

S, S, S, W and the barrel will take you to the first floor! If you're on the 3 min game you can go west and try your luck searching for the 2nd part of the main key on this floor. If everything is going well however we can skip right up to the ATIC!

N, N, N, E, S into the atic! Again I'm not 100% this bit is optimal but I go: W, W, W, S, S, S, E, E and hopefully have found it. From here you can go N, N, D, then east into the barrel to be back on the ground floor. Collect the rest of the key from the cellar, nip out the main door and you're home free! Hurrah!

I'm pretty sure the Serf has to be the best character as his shortcuts in the caverns as well as ground to first floor are just insane. I'd be interested to hear any improvements on my route. I may make a youtube video with fraps at some point but since you have to restart every bad map (over 90% of them!) this would be quite tedious.

Happy Atacing!
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  30. Anonymous

QUOTE(KevinO @ Mar 20 2007, 11:10 AM)
    I've just got my first good (2:15) time for Atic Atac after a month or so of (very) intermittent time attack games.  I had such a good map I'm sure I could have got under 2 mins easily but I bumbled a bit in the caverns, shocked everying was going so well!

Blow me down, I come to post this and start a new game to retrace my route for you and I get near-perfect key placements again!  2:12 now, more bumbling because I wasn't ready for a TA game!  Like London busses - nothing for ages then two turn up at once.

Here's what I think is probably the best route, and certainly allows for sub 2-minute times.  You need a good map with the keys in the right places, I got these times by restarting about 90% of my games.

WARNING - detailed spoilers follow!

Play as the Serf.  You do not need the Red or the Blue key at any stage.

S, W, W, W, W  (If you haven't found the green key by now, restart)
    N, W, N, N, E, E, D  (You need to have found part of the main key too by now for sub-2 mins.  Otherwise you can still get sub 3 but prob need the Blue Key too.)
    Take Yellow Key, SE, E, Drop everything except Green Key, D

Now we hunt for part of the main key.  I'm not 100% sure of the best way to do this, but I go S, S, E, S, N, N, W, W, W.  Hopefully you'll find it early in that squence of rooms, especially before charging off west.  Otherwise you just have to keep searching.

Once you find it, go back through the barrel into the first room you dropped into, then N, E, E, E, S, S, S, W, W, W back into the basement.  Drop everything(?) and go W, N, collect everything, S, E.  You then want to rearrange your inventory so you're holding the green and yellow keys and two parts of the main key are on the floor.

S, S, S, W and the barrel will take you to the first floor!  If you're on the 3 min game you can go west and try your luck searching for the 2nd part of the main key on this floor.  If everything is going well however we can skip right up to the ATIC!

N, N, N, E, S into the atic!  Again I'm not 100% this bit is optimal but I go:  W, W, W, S, S, S, E, E and hopefully have found it.  From here you can go N, N, D, then east into the barrel to be back on the ground floor.  Collect the rest of the key from the cellar, nip out the main door and you're home free!  Hurrah!
    I'm pretty sure the Serf has to be the best character as his shortcuts in the caverns as well as ground to first floor are just insane.  I'd be interested to hear any improvements on my route.  I may make a youtube video with fraps at some point but since you have to restart every bad map (over 90% of them!) this would be quite tedious.

Happy Atacing!
    [right][snapback]2214[/snapback][/right]

Hi KevinO

Good to see a new post - and a new challenger for my crown. You are definitely on the right track but I think you need to think a little harder.

You can improve by knowing all the locations where keys can be found and then adjusting your route slightly to take advantage of that knowledge in the caverns. All that dropping and picking up could be better. Also, you're wrong about having to find a key before the Basement.

That's enough clues - wouldn't want you to get too good - I might just have to come back out of retirement!

Good luck.

P.S. If you want an easier challenge use the "view all" feature on the score board to see that I'm the fastest... but also the slowest. Beating the slowest time shouldn't be too hard - if you have the patience...
    Posted 10 years ago #
    Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.