Search:  

Retrospec Forum » Feedback on Retrospec Games

[closed]

Quazatron

(29 posts)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. Anonymous

I'm even going to keep a diary :) So far I've got a city layout with the droids going about the business and Klepto. Klepto can bash the other droids or shoot them up. Still to come:

Intro page
    Grapple game
    Sound effects
    Lifts between city levels
    Glorious end game effect (There will be only one city, but the droids will put up much more of a fight :)
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  2. Anonymous

Yeah, i have an opinion... FanF**kingTastic. One of my all time faves is at last well on the way to being made for everyone to play. Looks superb so far and will be watching this closely !!! M.Smith is KING !

Hitman
    RR News Guy - And Logo Maker
    http://www.remakes.org
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  3. Anonymous

Fantastic!! Can't believe you are remaking my fave Spectrum game! SUperb job, I wish you all the best! What would be good, if it can be implemented, is a multiplayer mode? That would be great.
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  4. Anonymous

Right, I'm off on my hols for a week. But I've now got the basic droid movement part of the game sorted. Klepto can ram and shoot the other droids, and use lifts to travel to other levels. And Hitman is kindly designing the new city levels. Its looking good :)
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  5. Anonymous

Torquay was very pleasant. I don't think I've seen a palm tree before. Anyway, as you can see from the new pics, the enemy robots shoot back! Depending on their class and detection range, they take time to react to you, then open fire. Upper class battle droids will be on your case immediately; lower utility droids will rarely notice. A better lift system is next.
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  6. Anonymous

Progress has been a bit slower. I'm slowing putting my house together and only got central heating in the past week. Thats the greatest thing ever, BTW! Anyroad, I've done the lift screens and am starting with the onscreen info. I'm getting a lot of bother because of the three possible screen resolutions. The 3D stuff is not bothered by this, but any text and image positioning must be altered for each res. I'll get there. And the end of the year still seems possible.....

Matt.
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  7. Anonymous

Still going. I've switched to painting my house now. This hasn't affected game progress as much except for a big gob of paint across the keyboard. I figured out a big bug yesterday where robots could get stuck in obscure corners of the map and crash the game. And I've put a neat intro together (It like the start of Horizon). And my current task is to think of other names for the various components. My next big task will be to write the grapple game. I'm still not sure how this will work....
    Posted 15 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  8. Anonymous

Carpets! I have carpets! Great gleaming acres of carpets! :))))))
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  9. Anonymous

I finally figured out how to get a droids class printed onto its chest. That was hard. Its all this bizarre decal stuff. And I've added a few new droids, so that each class can increase in rank. A B1 droid will look fiercer and more important than a B6 droid etc.
    And my carpets are lovely :) I can walk around my house barefoot and not cringe as the old ancient carpets used to be sticky.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  10. Anonymous

Hello again. Sorry about the slow updates. Its due to the Christmas excess and all that :) So it looks like the late 2002 date was optimistic after all. But work continues. By the end of January I should have everything tight and shipshape except for the sound and grapple game. Its is almost there as it is but I want it to be perfect before release. That will be a new experience for me :)
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  11. Anonymous

Ho hum. I've got a nice working version out there to a lucky few. Unfortunately it runs like a dog on a P400. So sorry chaps, but it looks like you're going to have to have at least an 800 and decent graphics card to play. But if you have at least a GForce2, it will fly. :) And its looking luch. I've still got the grapple game and sound to do, but that should be that.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  12. Anonymous

Gosh, did I have a boring evening. I took all the robot models and slashed down the number of vertexes and faces in half. This bumps up the frame rate quite a bit but to my surprise doesn't took too bad. I'll release the original high-res models and textures and the new lower res ones. Besides that, for completeness, I just added the information square as well.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  13. Anonymous

Numerous tweaks to the code. It now runs at a very respectable rate on my noddy machine here, and the more obscure crashes have been removed. And some of the sound has been put in place. Rather nicely when sorting my wiring out, I found that the bass dial on my subwoofer was only at the half way mark. When cranked up to full, you really do feel Klepto's gun shots :)
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  14. Anonymous

EMP Cannon! Boom-Badda-Boom! And the more mundane devices like the scanner and turbo boost. That just leaves me with the grapple game and play testing to do. Still not sure about the grapple game though...
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  15. Anonymous

Tested it all at work again. The P400 can pull 40 fps, which is much more respectable. Almost there, just some sort of grapple game to write. Which is just as well since I'm approaching my enthusiasm limit for the project. A quick and nasty shooter next I think.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  16. Anonymous

Plodding on, almost there. I'm beginning to think that the original Quazatron was a neat grapple game with a sub-game involving robots. So the original grapple game is going to make a reappearance in its entirety. Hopefully it will be unleashed to the world next weekend. In the mean time, the first five people who write to me will receive an early copy and get to become beta-testers. Chop, chop.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  17. Anonymous

Message you here or privately... Damn, i hope i'm not too late !
    Hitman
    RR News Guy - And Graphic Dabbler
    http://www.remakes.org/
    http://www.handheld.remakes.org/
    irc efnet #remakes
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  18. Anonymous

Yes, so I lied. I have a few other bits of bother on right now. And I really can't find a neat and elegant way of doing the grapple.

More importantly : Does anyone have a copy of the teaser trailer that they can mail back to me please because I've lost mine. I'll be very greatful.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  19. Anonymous

Bah, I just can't win. I was all set to upload the very final exe today when I try it out on my P400. The frame rate plods at fps, and not the 40 that it was at previously. What have I done? I'll give it another couple of days to look at it and then release regardless on Thursday whilst demandind that the PC has a GForce4 on board.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  20. Anonymous

The journey is finished. Its all done some three months later than expected. I just added the extra option to set the bit depth on the screen. That makes the P400 fly again. Deus Ex can take some of the blame for the delay, as can frustration at DirectX APIs. Definitely time to resurrect the HotT code next I think. After a nice long holiday that is.
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  21. Anonymous

Hi Matt,

This is looking very nice! I think I missed out on this one back in the Speccy days (though I played Paradroid a lot which seems to be remarkably similar!).

Have a few comments though. I would have emailed this privately but couldn't find your email address anywhere. I've replied to the forum rather than to the game page so as to avoid clogging it up too much.

Let's start with my first impressions. Nice intro bit, nice logo, let's start the game. Three seconds later I'm dead. Game over. My second and third games didn't do much better. This is DEAD hard.

I checked out the Speccy version and the other robots don't all continuously shoot at you. Some of them seem not to shoot at all (no weapon?) and the others only shoot when you're on the same level as them. This allowed me to play without being immediately killed. Would you consider modifying your remake so that they're a bit less trigger-happy?

I had some real problems reading some of the text in the game. Examples were after grappling when it told me that Klepto was the winner (the text was just barely readable) and also when I activated an information square (the text was almost completely invisible). It looks like you're maybe flickering the text on and off? I have a fairly high-spec machine (Athlon XP 2400+, 512Mb RAM, etc.) so perhaps it's just happening too quick; I don't know. It made the info square impossible to use, though, which spoiled the game rather.

Less significant but still a bit annoying was the way when grappling that my cursor arrow reappeared at the top of the screen every time I fired a pulse. When I'm in a hurry to activate a number of pulses at the bottom of the screen this got quite irritating. Could you change this so that when a pulse is activated, the arrow stayed at the same place?

Also a number of menus are controlled by the cursor keys (including the selection of pulses in grappling). It would be nice if these all "wrapped", so pressing up when the first item was selected jumped down to the last item, etc. Just makes navigating the menus a bit more comfortable.

Finally, whenever the game ends it asks you to press Esc to restart. As I have my hands all positioned over the cursor keys and Z/X, it's annoying to have to move my hand across the keyboard to press Esc (I get annoyed too easily, I know ;-). Would perhaps be better to get the user to press Space or something instead..?

Hope this doesn't sound overly critical because I think this has great potential and I'd love to play through it. With the trigger-happy robots and flickery text though I don't think I can... I really hope you can sort some of these things out so that I can go kick some robot arse. :)

Best regards and I hope this is of some use,

Adam.
    http://www.adamdawes.com
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  22. Anonymous

Hey there. Wicked revamp. I just have one question:
    Why when I've killed 64 robots does the screen go dark and the message 'all robots killed' displayed? I thought there were 128 robots? I haven't even been to all the levels of the city yet! Please help, this is driving me mad. Keep up the good work!

stiv :)
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  23. Anonymous

I am unable to start the game. It keeps crashing with "access violation: read of address 10". Do you have any idea how to get it to work?

P.S.: I am currently using Windows XP.

Mike Rosoft
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  24. Anonymous

I managed to run the game on a different computer. And I found another problem: I am unable to find repair or information stations in any level but the first one. Is that intentional, or is it a mistake? ---

(Update: All right. They are apparently missing only in the adjacent levels to the starting one. Objection withdrawn.) ---

And after a few games, it also crashed with an access violation. :-( ---

(Another update: I have also noticed that the game terminates too early. I didn't even manage to get to the lowermost level, when the game ended claiming that all robots have been destroyed.) ---

Mike Rosoft
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  25. Anonymous

Hello. Thanks for the feedback. It would seem that I've forgotten to set the total number of enemy robots to be defeated back to 128 (There was originally 8 to a level, making a total of 64 I think). As bugs go, that is a corker :). I'm looking at releasing a V1.1 some time soonish. I still can't stand the sight of the code easily. As for access violations, I'm not sure without looking at the machine. Try playing around with the colour settings. :/
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  26. Anonymous

This remake is excellent, good to see it jazzed up rather than a exact graphical copy of the speccy original.
    For feedback, my top 3 bugs are:

1) The 64 robot limit, which I know you know about.
    2) Every 3rd game or so an access violation crashes the game as soon as you press fire to start. Exact message is "Direct 3D Sample : Access Violation at address 7D6C07BA in module D3DRM.DLL Read of address FFFFFFFF" Something from the previous game not getting re-initalised properly?
    3) No music on the beginning menu with the scrolly message. I get the sound during the Retrospec into and in the game itself but not in the main menu.

Other than that top effort, I look forward to v1.1
    cheers
    Carey
    Posted 14 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  27. Anonymous

Great game. Much better than the original...
    Too bad is still limited to 64 robots!
    Multiplayer is a great idea.
    Keep up the good work!!!

P.S. I was looking for a remake of this game for a long long time. Advertise it because there must be lots of other ppl looking for it.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  28. Anonymous

Please have a look at the Quazatron high score list. It seems to be filled by nothing but cheaters. (564 destroyed robots. How?) I cannot say that any of the entries is legitimate.
    ---
    By the way, is a fixed version about to be released?

---

Mike Rosoft
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM
  29. Anonymous

Its back! At long last I've got around to sorting out the maximum robot count, including a high score chart, and also fixing various tiny bugs. Considering how ill I was feeling at the sight of the project when I left it last year, I am pleasantly surprised now that I actually did a decent job of it all. So thats it now. Forever.
    Posted 13 years ago #
    Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.